Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Roundabout question.

Options
  • 29-07-2016 9:28pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,723 ✭✭✭

Looking at the photo, traveling from bottom to top (straight through), what lane would "you" use.

Comments

• Registered Users, Subscribers Posts: 13,449 ✭✭✭✭antodeco

Let lane, but right lane can also go straight as there are 2 off lanes (unless signposted otherwise)

• Registered Users Posts: 81,223 ✭✭✭✭biko

General rules is left lane for everything up to and including twelve o'clock.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,809 ✭✭✭Speedwell

According to the rules of the road, you use the left lane unless you are exiting using a road that is to the right of a line drawn straight ahead through the center of the roundabout. I got my full Irish license a few months ago and one of my driving testers was extremely strict on that and really lectured me about it when I failed the test the first time.

(To the @ssh0le who literally tried to run me off the road going through Longford this afternoon because you couldn't bother your feather head to learn this rule... karma, just karma.)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26,658 ✭✭✭✭OldMrBrennan83

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users Posts: 81,223 ✭✭✭✭biko

Oooh, now it starts.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,687 ✭✭✭✭wonski

biko wrote: »
    Oooh, now it starts.

What starts now?

You follow signs, if the ones on the road allow you to go straight ahead using the right lane you can do it, regardless of what the general rule is.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,723 ✭✭✭Phil.x

With these types of roads with bus lane before and after roundabout, me personally id stay in the right lane as what's the point in changing to the left lane as its only a non bus lane for 30 meters on each side, I see that non bus lane part of the road for cars turning left and cars coming on to the road in question from the left.

IMO staying on the left only suits when there is two lanes of traffic and no bus lane.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26,658 ✭✭✭✭OldMrBrennan83

This post has been deleted.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,934 ✭✭✭MarkAnthony

Straight over, avoiding the bushes; make sure to pick up enough speed not to get bogged down in the grass.

• Site Banned Posts: 1,735 ✭✭✭Second Toughest in_the Freshers

I'd say that's slightly past 12 o'clock

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,296 ✭✭✭FortySeven

If we could ban public transport and stop subsidising the poor so they didn't have to walk then we could get rid of that bus lane and go back to using the roundabout correctly. Joyfully using two lanes to ease traffic flow as we swoosh past the plebs in their pedestrian poverty.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 566 ✭✭✭Rainman16

I would go with the outside lane for the 1st and 2nd exit. inside lane for 3rd and 4th

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 566 ✭✭✭Rainman16

Quick question for drivers. Do you prefer roundabouts or intersections? I like a roundabout personally, allot or Irish towns I feel traffic has been ruined by intersections

• Closed Accounts Posts: 666 ✭✭✭maximum12

I'd use whichever lane has the least traffic.

There's no reason why straight through traffic can't safely negotiate the roundabout in either lane.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,593 ✭✭✭theteal

With 2 lanes on and off, take your pick. Knowing that bus lane starts very close to the exit in question, I'd be sticking to the right-hand lane

• Registered Users Posts: 4,957 ✭✭✭Liamalone

Left or middle lane, "follow the path of least resistance" :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,297 ✭✭✭savagethegoat

I think the problem really is the clock face rule. Much better had they said "follow the lane markings". There's no such clock face rule in the UK

• Registered Users Posts: 786 ✭✭✭SQ2

Personally I'd use either lane.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,957 ✭✭✭Liamalone

I think the problem really is the clock face rule. Much better had they said "follow the lane markings". There's no such clock face rule in the UK

I was taught the 'clock face rule' as recently as last year when doing my lorry test up north here.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 666 ✭✭✭maximum12

Screw lane markings. They're not much use in a line of traffic or when it's dark. They're inefficient because people can't select a lane with no traffic.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,297 ✭✭✭savagethegoat

Liamalone wrote: »
    I was taught the 'clock face rule' as recently as last year when doing my lorry test up north here.

really? well it is a long time since I took my test I guess.

Highway code says this:
    Signals and position. When taking the first exit to the left, unless signs or markings indicate otherwise
    •signal left and approach in the left-hand lane
    •keep to the left on the roundabout and continue signalling left to leave.

When taking an exit to the right or going full circle, unless signs or markings indicate otherwise
    •signal right and approach in the right-hand lane
    •keep to the right on the roundabout until you need to change lanes to exit the roundabout
    •signal left after you have passed the exit before the one you want.

When taking any intermediate exit, unless signs or markings indicate otherwise
    •select the appropriate lane on approach to and on the roundabout
    •you should not normally need to signal on approach
    •stay in this lane until you need to alter course to exit the roundabout
    •signal left after you have passed the exit before the one you want.

When there are more than three lanes at the entrance to a roundabout, use the most appropriate lane on approach and through

Edit: I checked the NI version and there is indeed mention of clock face in the footnotes section that doesn't seem to be in the GB version.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,015 ✭✭✭✭Mc Love

Left lane as its the 2nd exit. But seeing as there are two lanes on exit, you could use the right lane also.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,113 ✭✭✭corglass

Take the right lane. Indicate right until past the first exit. Then immediately indicate left and swing into the exit like a man possessed.

Wonder why all the cars are beeping... "they must be celebrating something"

Later aggressively cross into the left lane, jam on and take left exit. Clip the kerb on the way.

Advertisement