Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Bmw, Audi or Land Rover?

Options
  • 29-07-2016 8:25pm
    Registered Users Posts: 221 ✭✭

In the marketing for a new car.
    -2011/2012 Bmw 520D F10
    -2012/2013 Audi A5 S-Line (2.0Tdi)
    -2008 Range rover Sport

Has anyone got any advise on what to look out for on these or any suggestions or thoughts? Love all 3, but feel the BMW is best bang for buck..Iv heard a few horror stories on Range rovers from things going and it being expensive to maintain... never really hear anything bad about the A5 but there very common now :rolleyes:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,065 ✭✭✭bigroad

Fair horror stories with all if you read the internet much.
    Rangey is the most expensive to run and fix.
    bmw is next.
    Audi is not too bad.Same mechanicals as a passat but with a better build and a nice shape.
    Not as many A5 s as bmw on the road.
    The rangey is a discovery in different clothes.They are very heavy.
    If you want a rangey buy the bigger one more comfort and better resale.
    Safest choice A5.
    Best to drive Bmw.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,570 ✭✭✭rebel.ranter

Not a bad assessment there. Definitely don't get the RR.

• Registered Users Posts: 221 ✭✭Milk_Tray

bigroad wrote: »
    Fair horror stories with all if you read the internet much.
    Rangey is the most expensive to run and fix.
    bmw is next.
    Audi is not too bad.Same mechanicals as a passat but with a better build and a nice shape.
    Not as many A5 s as bmw on the road.
    The rangey is a discovery in different clothes.They are very heavy.
    If you want a rangey buy the bigger one more comfort and better resale.
    Safest choice A5.
    Best to drive Bmw.

iv tried to do a quick google, but like googling a cold, you'll have 5 different diseases when you start looking lol. I couldnt see anything on any that is a proper well known issues, obviously not looking properly.

What model RR do you suggest? My pref is the Bmw, but I havent drove one, TBH I havent drove any, thats my next plan. Something about the Audi though , just doesnt jump out at me in style or build quality like the Bmw

Just to come back on this ,an Audi a5 2.0tdi quattro would be worth the extra few bob,as its a car that would always get good resale and if the snow comes you can go to work.
    The bmw s have been given to any half arsed sales rep and others ,so too many around.
    If you can get a quattro you cant go wrong.

Ok then drive them all and see then.
    If you like driving you will go Bmw.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,503 ✭✭✭TrailerBob

Just be aware that any moderate mechanical work on a RR Sport involves lifting the body off the chassis.. not a cheap job.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,615 ✭✭✭grogi

Milk_Tray wrote: »
    In the marketing for a new car.
    -2011/2012 Bmw 520D F10
    -2012/2013 Audi A5 S-Line (2.0Tdi)
    -2008 Range rover Sport

Has anyone got any advise on what to look out for on these or any suggestions or thoughts? Love all 3, but feel the BMW is best bang for buck..Iv heard a few horror stories on Range rovers from things going and it being expensive to maintain... never really hear anything bad about the A5 but there very common now :rolleyes:

A5 unless you care about the RWD, then the 5-er.

Audi is a bit younger and should give less trouble. But BMW will be more engaging to drive.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,399 ✭✭✭✭r3nu4l

Of the A5 is quattro, of go for it over the BMW any day of the week, otherwise, the BMW would be the better choice IMO (and I dislike the BMW 520, so that should tell you how I feel about the RR ) :D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,723 ✭✭✭Phil.x

A5 gets my vote.
    The rover is a mechaics friend, all types of them rovers are.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,560 ✭✭✭porsche boy

Audi.
    Avoid the RR unless you have an Ed China living in your shed.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,970 ✭✭✭Theboinkmaster

bigroad wrote: »
    The bmw s have been given to any half arsed sales rep and others ,so too many around.

I don't know many sales reps being given a bmw 5 series :P

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,006 ✭✭✭bmwguy

Either do I, most of my friends are reps and have company cars and they were limited to approx 30k by their fleet managers leaving them in Insignias, Mondeos, Supebs, Passats etc

All fine cars suited for the job but none of them got offered a 5 series. Most would turn it down anyway because the BIK would kill them.

One guy is sales manager for Ireland and is at it a long long time and drove a Primera up to recently when he was promoted and now has a 3 series.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 246 ✭✭Utdfan20titles

None of them all **** cars

• Registered Users Posts: 51,157 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

Cool, thanks for your expertise. Next....

• Registered Users Posts: 64,991 ✭✭✭✭unkel

Most Jaguars and Range Rovers of that era sold here have the Peugeot / Citroen 2.7l V6 biturbo diesel engine, which is not great to put it mildly. Google it. My brother in law bought a few of them brand new and got stranded more than once. Extremely expensive repairs, but obviously back then fixed free of charge under warranty. A similar issue now would nearly mean the car is a write-off

Personally I like BMWs, I've owned about 10 of them (all petrol, 4, 6 and 8 cylinders) and none of them have ever given me serious trouble. That said, I wouldn't touch a 4 cylinder BMW diesel engine of that era with a bargepole

The Audi A5 looks great, but it is not one of Audis better cars of the past few decades. I don't really know much about the engine, but others will tell you if you can expect problems or not. But of course the front wheel drive system is far inferior to a rear wheel drive system (if you like driving - many people wouldn't even notice). And before anyone says it is a quattro, yeah. Meh. My own daily driver is an Audi TT quattro and great wee iconic and very well made car that it is, the quattro is mainly an "on paper" system. In real day to day driving, it is just a FWD car.

Do you really, really have to buy a diesel car, Milk_Tray?

Advertisement