Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

NCT for car approaching 10 years old

Options
  • 29-07-2016 3:03pm
    Registered Users Posts: 140 ✭✭

Hi all. My car is due it's NCT next march 2017 when it will be 10 years old. If I was to do the NCT test now while it's 9 years old would I be covered for 2 years or just 1? I was checking the NCT site and I can book the test now but it says the renewal date will be changed. That would be ok if the it lasted 2 years.

Cheers for any info.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 458 ✭✭com1

Did that last year with my 2006 car. NCT due march this year but I booked it in last November. Now I have an NCT cert until Nov 2017.

• Registered Users Posts: 140 ✭✭hernie

com1 wrote: »
    Did that last year with my 2006 car. NCT due march this year but I booked it in last November. Now I have an NCT cert until Nov 2017.

Nice one. Must be a lot of people doing it. I'll book mine in another month or so.

• Registered Users Posts: 81,472 ✭✭✭✭Atlantic Dawn
    M

Once it's tested and passes over 90 days before due date of its 10 year NCT you will get 2 years NCT.

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 9,929 ✭✭✭mik_da_man

Must do with mine too, will be 10 in Feb

• Registered Users Posts: 25,357 ✭✭✭✭coylemj

Once it's tested and passes over 90 days before due date of its 10 year NCT you will get 2 years NCT.

+1 If you do the test more than 90 days before it's due, this is known as a 'voluntary test' and what happens is that the NCT cert. you get is based on the age of the car on the date of the test and the renewal date changes to that date.

Which means that if the OP does the test in December 2016 with more than 90 days left on his current NCT, he will get a two year cert. expiring in December 2018 (because his car will be less than 10 years old) but the renewal date will permanently change to December.

If you do the test with less than 90 days on the current cert. it's considered an early test, the cert you get will be the same as if you did the test on the day your current cert expires and there is no effect on the renewal date. So in the OP's case, if he leaves the test to Jan/Feb/Mar, he will get a one year cert. expiring in March 2018.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,015 ✭✭✭Vote 4 Pedro

Just booked mine in before the 90 days so hopefully i'll get the cert for 2 years.
    Thanks as I never knew about this...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,297 ✭✭✭savagethegoat

Just booked mine in before the 90 days so hopefully i'll get the cert for 2 years.
    Thanks as I never knew about this...

I think it has to pass before the 90 day deadline.

I think it has to pass before the 90 day deadline.

yes it's more than 90 days before it's due.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,285 ✭✭✭✭mickdw

yes it's more than 90 days before it's due.

Yes but it has to actually pass before it enters 90 day period so really you should be booking it in a further 3 or 4 weeks before that 90 day deadline to allow for retest.

mickdw wrote: »
    Yes but it has to actually pass before it enters 90 day period so really you should be booking it in a further 3 or 4 weeks before that 90 day deadline to allow for retest.

yep I know it has to pass, and I have plenty of time should it need a re-test but the car is sound and should pass - hopefully

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 261 ✭✭Lanshane

Sorry folks quick question regarding my 07 car. It's due NCT in July 2017. If it passes test say in march 2017, will my next NCT date be March 2019? The reason I ask is that in March next year the car will strictly speaking be in its 10th year, even though it will have passed NCT outside the 90 days.... hopefully!!

• Registered Users Posts: 16,089 ✭✭✭✭CiniO

Lanshane wrote: »
    Sorry folks quick question regarding my 07 car. It's due NCT in July 2017. If it passes test say in march 2017, will my next NCT date be March 2019?

Yes, it will.

The reason I ask is that in March next year the car will strictly speaking be in its 10th year, even though it will have passed NCT outside the 90 days.... hopefully!!

It might be in it's 10th year, but won't be 10 years old yet. And that's only what matters.

Advertisement