Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Expired tax

Options
  • 29-07-2016 12:35pm
    Registered Users Posts: 7,042 ✭✭✭

Cant search because search is borked.
    This has probably asked loads of times.

What's the story buying a car that the tax is long expired and it's unlikely that it's been declared off the road?
    I'm looking at a few early 90's Fords. Some of them state that they've been parked up for a while and no tax.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,105 ✭✭✭hi5

Its no problem, you only have to pay the tax from the first day of the month in which you bought it.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,042 ✭✭✭kaizersoze

Thanks.

Could I buy and declare off the road straight away without taxing? It probably in use for a while.

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators Posts: 5,065 Mod ✭✭✭✭kadman

kaizersoze wrote: »
    Thanks.

Could I buy and declare off the road straight away without taxing? It probably in use for a while.

You can i believe, within ten days of you being the registered owner.
    Something like that , but check it out.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,297 ✭✭✭savagethegoat

I think it's 21 days now but the answer is yes.

photos of the cars would be welcome

• Registered Users Posts: 4,230 ✭✭✭mgbgt1978

You can even declare it "off the road" before you receive the VLC in the post.
    If you keep an eye on motortax.ie, once the VLC is issued (but not posted) you are then the registered owner and can request a PIN online to declare the car SORD (or Tax it, if that's the way you are going).

• Advertisement

I think it's 21 days now but the answer is yes.

photos of the cars would be welcome

Nothing too exciting goat. Looking at late 80s/early 90s Sierras.
    Some are taxed, some aren't. Don't have a huge budget though but not too many good examples.

mgbgt1978 wrote: »
    You can even declare it "off the road" before you receive the VLC in the post.
    If you keep an eye on motortax.ie, once the VLC is issued (but not posted) you are then the registered owner and can request a PIN online to declare the car SORD (or Tax it, if that's the way you are going).

Most have the old brown log books so no VLC. It'll mean a trip to the tax office I presume?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,268 ✭✭✭✭uck51js9zml2yt

It's 21 days from sale.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,268 ✭✭✭✭uck51js9zml2yt

Most have the old brown log books so no VLC. It'll mean a trip to the tax office I presume?

Post it in and they can issue a new old book :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,297 ✭✭✭savagethegoat

Nothing too exciting goat. Looking at late 80s/early 90s Sierras.
    Some are taxed, some aren't. Don't have a huge budget though but not too many good examples.

they are pretty rare now according to the press recently. I had a 1990 as my daily that was pretty mint and I should have kept it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,032 ✭✭✭Silvera

Post it in and they can issue a new old book :)

Most classic car owners wont do that - for fear of the original log book going missing in the post!

Better to go in with all the paper work - basically the log book and change of ownership form (completed) - and they can stamp the log book and hand it back to you there-and-then. The (original) log book is an important part of a classic car's history and its important to keep it safe.

No VLC is required for a vehicle which has an old style log/tax book.

Advertisement