Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Moving to canada_ carpenter???

Options
  • 29-07-2016 9:37am
    Registered Users Posts: 3

Hi everyone.
    I'd like to pick your brains.
    We are a family of 4 not married. Just wondering if my partner went to canada as a carpenter would he earn enough to support a family ?
    He knows people who he can get a job with right away. He was thinking of going over for a bit to see what it's like first.
    Also us it the working holiday visa he'd be on?
    I have a fetac 6 in childcare but heard it is hard to get a job in that field.
    Thank you. This is early days and just a thought as we're not getting anywhere here.
    Jess

Comments

Canada offers many opportunities. The cost of living is higher than here. What sounds a good deal from here may not be so once you get over. He should expect to work long hours. He should chose his location carefully, as working on buildings in -20 and lower isn't nice!

• Registered Users Posts: 3 KessJess

Thanks Marianne.
    Exactly why I'm asking regarding the cost of living etc. To see of he could support us. It sounds good but I've no idea about cost of living. He has contacts in Edmonton Albert and winnipeg but I think winnipeg is out of the running due to weather.

KessJess wrote: »
    Thanks Marianne.
    Exactly why I'm asking regarding the cost of living etc. To see of he could support us. It sounds good but I've no idea about cost of living. He has contacts in Edmonton Albert and winnipeg but I think winnipeg is out of the running due to weather.

You'd best check out the winter temperatures of where he intends going. It really is the pits working in Alberta during the winter. Vancouver or Toronto are not too bad. Also check out costs of renting apartments, buying and running cars, cost of travel to work, etc. Basically, sit down with a notebook and do the sums, figuring in costs of travel there along with utility bills etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 411 ✭✭blackbird 49

I'm going back about 4 yrs now, but a girl I know went over cant remember what part, her husband is a carpenter also, they also have 2 children, they rented their house here in Ireland, she too had a child care cert, but she still had to do a course for whatever the Canadian version is, her husband had a job to go over to which he was happy about, I remember her telling me the cost of living was very high, even the rent they were paying and food was expensive even though she shopped in what is our aldi/ lidl here, where they were living she said they needed a car and insurance was high she said the house were they rented you would barely see anyone from one week to the next, most people over there work 2 jobs, I personally think she was homesick, but her husband loved it, they came back after 6 mths, everybody is different on how they get on over there,My son is over there on Vancouver island and loves it but then again he only has himself to worry about and not a family, I think it would be a good idea for him to go over and suss places out, and go from there, whatever you do I wish you the best of luck

Advertisement