Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cost of insert stove instalation

Options
  • 29-07-2016 8:34am
    Registered Users Posts: 1,454 ✭✭✭

Hi

I'm looking to put a stove into our new build soon.
    We are looking at this one.

I know it's recommended you line the chimney with a flue. Plenty of threads discussing it. See one here.

We have the air intake from under in place, 150mm clay flue in place.

Here's the breakdown of one quote we got:
    - "Barbas Unilux 6 65" 2162
    - Classic Frame 202
    - Outside air Kit 100
    - Flexible flue liner/Rigid 748 back filled with vermiculite.
    - Slate Hearth 250
    - Installation 850
    - Stone trim 300

Total €4812 which include 13% vat on labour and 23% on goods.

Does the install fee of €850 seem excessive?
    How long of a job would it be and for how many people?

Thanks
    Tagged:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 12,346 ✭✭✭✭Calahonda52

where is this?
    150mm clay flue in place.

Flue liners usually only used if the existing flue in the chimney is larger that that required by the stove, which seems to be 150 as well so .......

Is the air intake in exactly the right spot for this exact stove?

“I can’t pay my staff or mortgage with instagram likes”.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,454 ✭✭✭rodge123

where is this?
    150mm clay flue in place.

Flue liners usually only used if the existing flue in the chimney is larger that that required by the stove, which seems to be 150 as well so .......

Is the air intake in exactly the right spot for this exact stove?

I'll have to measure it, I think it's 150mm.

From what I have read, the flue liners help keep the smoke at a higher temperature and therefore a better draw of smoke is achieved out through the chimney.

Yes, air intake is in correct spot as confirmed by company that inspected and quoted for stove and instalation.

Thanks, confirm the existing chimney flue size.
    Is it a straight flue or does it have a curve?
    I suspect its 220mm and the 150mm will allow for the vermiculite which is not always fitted unless you keep a close eye, especially in a flue with a curve
    What life do they tell you the liner will give?.
    If you burn wet fuel or/and have a lot of smoke and don't clean it regularly some folk reckon its 5 years max.

If the chimney is high enough it will have a draught, what height is it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,884 ✭✭✭Robbie.G

Trying to put vermiculite around a 150mm flexi liner in a 220mm clay liner is a waste of time money and effort as it's impossible to get it around it properly

• Registered Users Posts: 1,454 ✭✭✭rodge123

Thanks, confirm the existing chimney flue size.
    Is it a straight flue or does it have a curve?
    I suspect its 220mm and the 150mm will allow for the vermiculite which is not always fitted unless you keep a close eye, especially in a flue with a curve
    What life do they tell you the liner will give?.
    If you burn wet fuel or/and have a lot of smoke and don't clean it regularly some folk reckon its 5 years max.

If the chimney is high enough it will have a draught, what height is it.

Clay flue is straight, 200mm and it's an internal chinney also (In middle of house).
    It's 9 meters high.

We only intend to burn logs in it and probably not too often anyway (House is very well insulated and have geo thermal heat source for ufh).

• Advertisement

Well I would not bother with the liner just get the requisite adaptor.
    I am not a stove installer but I don't see the need, the 200mm by 9m will give you serious draught which you can control with the air intake on the stove.
    There will be an argument about how do you sweep a 200mm flue through a 150mm ope in the stove but I will leave that discussion to others!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 666 ✭✭✭maximum12

Got an insert stove last year and installer said they would recommend a flue liner only after a smoke test and flue inspection with camera.

They said lots of installers sell liners to everyone because it's a nice money earner for them.

After the test and inspection they said the flue was in good condition and draw was fine so no need for liner.

Advertisement