Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

turf plots price in Clare

Options
  • 28-07-2016 11:12pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 107 ✭✭

Hi

Too late for this year, but was goin to buy cut turf off a guy near me.

He cuts it with a 4 sod hopper (his own bog), lays it out in his field , and whoever buys it does the rest.

How much per meter should I be paying for this? His hopper does about 40metres I think.

Would be a nice job to keep the kids out of trouble too I was thinking!!
    Tagged:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,256 ✭✭✭kollegeknight

Dunno the cost but it costs me €16 cash to cut exactly what you're describing. It is usually sold per hopper. Where in Clare you looking? It is definitely the wrong time of year. Most of the turf is home.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 107 ✭✭tcow

Dunno the cost but it costs me €16 cash to cut exactly what you're describing. It is usually sold per hopper. Where in Clare you looking? It is definitely the wrong time of year. Most of the turf is home.

€16 per hopper, and that's not just cutting ur own turf no?? That's fairly cheep if that's right. Ya I'm too late for this year but next year.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 4,980 Mod ✭✭✭✭Genghis Cant

tcow wrote: »
    Ya I'm too late for this year but next year.

You're probably too late, but if you're in the market for a bit of turf you should ask him all the same. Sometimes there'd be a bit of an excess of turf cut and he mightn't have it sold yet.
    No harm in asking.

You're probably too late, but if you're in the market for a bit of turf you should ask him all the same. Sometimes there'd be a bit of an excess of turf cut and he mightn't have it sold yet.
    No harm in asking.

True. And is that the going rate?? About €16 per hopper supplying the turf and all. Seems like a lot of work for the seller for €16!

No €16 is just cutting my own so I presume you can double that to get the cost on the flat

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 14,241 ✭✭✭✭Kovu

Paced ours this year and we got 67/68 yards (about 62m) of 8 sods for €50 each. Not our own bank either, the owner takes the order and pays the machine himself so dunno what he pays the machine fella.

Where in Clare are you looking? It usually is cut end of May. A lot cancel the hoppers if it is not cut by end of June.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,388 ✭✭✭✭Reggie.

Where in Clare are you looking? It usually is cut end of May. A lot cancel the hoppers if it is not cut by end of June.

Some turf only cut last week in the midlands

Reggie. wrote: »
    Some turf only cut last week in the midlands

It's all down to weather and access. - down around here everywhere is so wet that it has to be cut and out asap or it will be there for the winter. I get ours spread on top of a quarry so under a little less pressure than some. Our contractors started cutting the end of June last year and all I heard was people complaining and threatening to move contractors.

Kovu wrote: »
    Paced ours this year and we got 67/68 yards (about 62m) of 8 sods for €50 each. Not our own bank either, the owner takes the order and pays the machine himself so dunno what he pays the machine fella.

€50 each what? Each hopper is it?

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 4,980 Mod ✭✭✭✭Genghis Cant

Yeah, per hopper. We pay €55 a hopper, 6 sods by 80 yds in each.

Yea, we'd call it a skip though. Quare ways of saying things in Leitrim but at least our turf is cheap!

• Registered Users Posts: 24,388 ✭✭✭✭Reggie.

Kovu wrote: »
    Yea, we'd call it a skip though. Quare ways of saying things in Leitrim but at least our turf is cheap!

Its a hopper missus not a skip

Reggie. wrote: »
    Its a hopper missus not a skip

a05782d3c9b8dba9a3f152a445668b37.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 1,336 ✭✭✭limo_100

Ours bins were 6sods by 80 yards paid 50 for them were cut in end of mar early april had them home by the 10 of june. The man doing the cutting gets 30 a bin and theres 2000 bins in the bog and they cut it twice on good years. In the midlands area

• Registered Users Posts: 67 ✭✭orlaithd12

Hi,

We used to get turf cut by machine, and then we'd foot and stack it ourselves, but that bog isn't available any longer.
    We live near Ennis in Co. Clare, and we would love to know if anyone knows of a bog available, for next year on, in the general area around Ennis, preferably around Crusheen, Ballinruan, Tulla......
    Many thanks....

Advertisement