Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Replacing new-ish car?

Options
  • 28-07-2016 10:37pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,137 ✭✭✭

I bought my car about 9 months ago, it was 2 years old at the time. Noticed a coolant leak (have another thread on that) and the car is still under warranty so I brought it back to be fixed. The leak is fixed but there's some new problem with the car now where they can't get it to run properly as it cuts out after a few seconds. The garage seem stumped so they're getting a Ford engineer to come work on it today or tomorrow.

The car originally went to them over 3 weeks ago and I'm starting to wonder will I ever get it back. I'm a bit concerned if I do get it back, it won't run the same way and I'll start having regular problems with it.

Is it likely at some point they will just scrap it and give me some other replacement? At what point does it become a lost cause? The car is worth about 7k based on what similar spec ones are going for.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 81,223 ✭✭✭✭biko

They have the option of repair or replace (or refund, but that's unlikely if they can opt for the other two).
    There isn't really a set time as such. I'd suggest you start calling every day or more to put pressure on them.
    Try to get the manager to agree to a timeline, in writing (email).
    Demand a loaner of similar size.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,137 ✭✭✭veganrun

They have loaned me a car, a 2016 model which is nice. I'd still prefer to have my own car back, but not if it's not fully fixed.

I called them this morning, the Ford engineer can't look at it until Tuesday/Wednesday next week, by which stage it will be 4 weeks.

I'm not sure if it gets to a point where it's a lost cause and they offer me some sort of replacement. However after this I'd be wary of taking another Fiesta incase it has the same issue (which seems to be a known problem).

Assuming I get my car back running properly, it's probably worth between 7 and 7.5k. If I went to trade it in would a dealer accept such a new car (under 3 years old) in part exchange for something that only costs a few hundred more? I've spotted another car I'd consider and they're between 8 and 9k.

• Registered Users Posts: 51,157 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

Not likely, dealers are in the business of making money. They will need to buy your car from you at a price which allows them to prep it for resale, valet and tidy it up, stick a warranty on it for the next owner and make some profit on it.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,615 ✭✭✭grogi

bazz26 wrote: »
    Not likely, dealers are in the business of making money. They will need to buy your car from you at a price which allows them to prep it for resale, valet and tidy it up, stick a warranty on it for the next owner and make some profit on it.

Why not? They will gladly accept a trade-in like that, but not for 7.5k...

• Advertisement

Is it possible I could get them to buy it back from me? I know I wouldn't get all the money I paid for it originally though.

• Registered Users Posts: 51,157 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

grogi wrote: »
    Why not? They will gladly accept a trade-in like that, but not for 7.5k...

I know they may do a deal but the OP thinks he could trade up for small money because the difference in value of both cars is small. Reality is that it will cost more to change than the OP thinks irrespective of the market value of both cars. Either the dealer will under value the OP's trade-in or adjust the value of the car they are selling.

Advertisement