Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

XGC Saturday Casuals - 30/7/16

Options
  • 28-07-2016 5:15pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 599 ✭✭✭

Can be in for 3:30pm. Going to have to make the most of it since it's closing down. :'(

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 598 ✭✭✭Macal

The XGC is closing?!? ****. Will have to be in I suppose.

Will have a PS4 on me with SFV, with Juri ofc.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,974 ✭✭✭✭chopperbyrne

Is it closing for definite?

Last time we heard this, it ended up being renovations.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 599 ✭✭✭TheWitch06

One of the lads working at the front desk said it was. I don't think its renovations. Ciaran (Nutrient) said he would ring the manager to see what the story is.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,328 ✭✭✭Nutrient

TheWitch06 wrote: »
    One of the lads working at the front desk said it was. I don't think its renovations. Ciaran (Nutrient) said he would ring the manager to see what the story is.

Lemme clarify, upstairs will no longer be a gaming area after 2weeks.

Alternatives are being looked into.

Will be in Saturday

• Registered Users Posts: 1,022 ✭✭✭Naphiel

Be in.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators Posts: 5,554 ✭✭✭Azza

Maybe we should look into getting regular online sessions going in its place on a Wednesday. It would have the benefit of not being run in a cramped sweaty dive with laggy monitors, would be free, would involve less waiting around to play, no travel would be involved, no faffing about with changing controllers and would be open to everyone in the country. Online of course is not as good as offline in terms of lag but the fact that we all live in a relatively small country with what now has good broadband infrastructure should largely mitigate the issue.

We could also possibly look into getting a team speak server that we could all log on to.

Just a suggestion anyway.

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 25,868 Mod ✭✭✭✭Doctor DooM

Azza wrote: »
    Maybe we should look into getting regular online sessions going in its place on a Wednesday. It would have the benefit of not being run in a cramped sweaty dive with laggy monitors, would be free, would involve less waiting around to play, no travel would be involved, no faffing about with changing controllers and would be open to everyone in the country. Online of course is not as good as offline in terms of lag but the fact that we all live in a relatively small country with what now has good broadband infrastructure should largely mitigate the issue.

We could also possibly look into getting a team speak server that we could all log on to.

I could probably join in for an hour or two if we did this...

• Moderators Posts: 8,678 ✭✭✭D4RK ONION

It's a good suggestion. Why get a TS server, we have the discord

I have no idea how discord works. Just TeamSpeak is what I'm use to, does discord have an easy way of setting up voice chat and multiple voice lobbies?

I could probably join in for an hour or two if we did this...

Scrap this idea so! :pac:

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 25,868 Mod ✭✭✭✭Doctor DooM

I have no idea how discord works. Just TeamSpeak is what I'm use to, does discord have an easy way of setting up voice chat and multiple voice lobbies?

Yeah, it's basically a smooshing together of teamspeak, irc, and slack.

• Registered Users Posts: 29 duffsocks

Online sessions would be pretty good as long as there's a decent amount on voice chat and there's no giant 8 man lobbies (too much waiting).

duffsocks wrote: »
    Online sessions would be pretty good as long as there's a decent amount on voice chat and there's no giant 8 man lobbies (too much waiting).

Agreed. The idea would be there would be a main voice chat lobby that your organize games in and for general chat, but you would host a 2 player lobby and go to a private chat room lobby while you played your first to 10 against whomever. When your done you would go back to the main lobby to organize your next game.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,888 ✭✭✭Fergus_

I'm assuming this is if we have no other alternatives at all for offline meetups.

I really like the offline casuals atmosphere so I'm not sure about replacing it entirely with online sessions even with voice chat.

Well its something that could be regularly run even if we continue to have offline casuals at new venue.

Although I see little advantage any more to offline casuals, there seems to be a phobia in the community about voice chat. I use to play other games online alot and the various communities and clans used voice chat all the time, which was great fun. Much better than just using text chat.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,888 ✭✭✭Fergus_

Yeah I don't mind the whole online session thing, it sounds like a good idea. I'm just hoping its not a replacement, more an addition.

• Registered Users Posts: 212 ✭✭Constant Markievicz

I'll be in. Would it do any good to bring my PS4 with me, even if I don't have the DLC characters unlocked?

Also, are people willing to play with legacy controllers? If so, I can bring a second stick with me.

Never mind. I'm too tired today to carry around a console and two sticks- I'll leave the TE at home.

• Registered Users Posts: 598 ✭✭✭Macal

I'll be in. Would it do any good to bring my PS4 with me, even if I don't have the DLC characters unlocked?

Also, are people willing to play with legacy controllers? If so, I can bring a second stick with me.

I'd imagine both would be appreciated. It's better than nothing.

• Registered Users Posts: 11 2XL

I'll pop in some time later on

• Registered Users Posts: 29 duffsocks

This was really fun, wish I could've stayed longer.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 72 ✭✭spriral

I think organising casuals at another venue may be better suited as a bi-weekly thing, depending on how much effort it will be for setting up. Every other week can be offline casuals so players from other parts of the country can join.

If it needs to be monthly then I'd see no reason not to run smaller tournaments, especially for games which aren't Street Fighter. Casuals might need to move back to Saturday.

Advertisement