Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Is it with worth upgrading or should I start from scratch?

Options
  • 28-07-2016 5:04pm
    Registered Users Posts: 8

With the release of the new line of graphics cards, I was considering upgrading my current PC which is a few years old at this point.
    It has an i7 2600k, 8GB of 1600mhz DDR3 Ram, and a GTX 580.
    I was considering picking up a GTX 1060(my motherboard has PCIe 3.0), adding another 8GB of RAM and getting a Corsair H90 cooler to over clock the 2600k.
    My goal is to max out most games at 1080p 60hz, but my main concern is would I bottleneck the 1060 or would I have compatibility issues.
    If so I'll make another post about building a new PC following the standard layout, and try to sell the current one.
    Upgrading vs starting from scratch would probably save me about €300 based on a 1060 build so would there be a significant performance benefit.
    Also any info about what kind of over clocks to expect would be much appreciated.

TLDR would an over clocked 2600k with 16GB DDR3 bottleneck a GTX 1060 for 1080p gaming?

Thanks in advance.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,930 ✭✭✭✭TerrorFirmer

No, you will be perfectly fine even at stock speeds really, if you're overclocking you definitely have nothing to worry about. More ram isn't really necessary either if you're trying to keep the cost down. Just add the GTX1060 and you're good to go.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,929 ✭✭✭✭ShadowHearth

Nedser96 wrote: »
    With the release of the new line of graphics cards, I was considering upgrading my current PC which is a few years old at this point.
    It has an i7 2600k, 8GB of 1600mhz DDR3 Ram, and a GTX 580.
    I was considering picking up a GTX 1060(my motherboard has PCIe 3.0), adding another 8GB of RAM and getting a Corsair H90 cooler to over clock the 2600k.
    My goal is to max out most games at 1080p 60hz, but my main concern is would I bottleneck the 1060 or would I have compatibility issues.
    If so I'll make another post about building a new PC following the standard layout, and try to sell the current one.
    Upgrading vs starting from scratch would probably save me about €300 based on a 1060 build so would there be a significant performance benefit.
    Also any info about what kind of over clocks to expect would be much appreciated.

TLDR would an over clocked 2600k with 16GB DDR3 bottleneck a GTX 1060 for 1080p gaming?

Thanks in advance.

I got 2500k 8gb ram and just bought 1060. Keep in mind I got only pcie 2.0. I don't think I am getting that much bottleneck. And at 1080p I am flying it on all games tested so far.
    You don't need upgrade at all, just 1060 or rx480 amd you sorted.

• Registered Users Posts: 8 Nedser96

Thanks for the replies. You've made my decision a lot easier. Just wondering where did you pick up your 1060? Most places either don't have them in stock or are charging a premium.

Nedser96 wrote: »
    Thanks for the replies. You've made my decision a lot easier. Just wondering where did you pick up your 1060? Most places either don't have them in stock or are charging a premium.

I got it at overclockers. It was 290£, but free delivery. It was G1 and good cooler. I didn't go for cheapest version. Overclockers have them in stock often enough.
    I would recommend rx480 instead though. Cheaper amd better in the long run, plus crossfire. Those are cheap cards and getting second on down the line is easy.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,703 ✭✭✭✭K.O.Kiki

• Advertisement

K.O.Kiki wrote: »

Its really good link m8.

Still though, Sandy bridge cpus are freaking amazing. They good few years of life in them!

I just did a Benchmark of my 2500k + 1060 vs Challangemasters i5 6400 + 970. Both overclocked and results are damn interesting.

http://www.3dmark.com/3dm/13687103

http://www.3dmark.com/3dm/13699776

Sandy still has life in it and OP, you can for sure just stick with better gpu and leave your 2600k.

Advertisement