Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Computer Hardware 'Scrap Heap' Challenge: ever 'resurrected' some 'scrapped' hardware

Options
  • 28-07-2016 3:51pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 2,828 ✭✭✭

Or bring some device out of 'retirement'.

I did this with an iPod Nano - the Nano with a camera on it. Put it away, but then brought it out of retirement.

Anybody re activate their Commodore 64? (I did'nt own one)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,063 ✭✭✭Greenmachine

Thought about this with an old Amiga. Joystick/Mouse Port 1 was/is broken. You can buy new old stock of components which is great in principle but when the original components are welded on it makes swapping out more difficult. :eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 11,397 ✭✭✭✭Digital Solitude

Had an 80gb iPod Classic that was shelved for 5 years or something before I took a screwdriver to it. Got about 5 more years from it. It's still hanging around but I think the motherboard is ****ed from water damage now

Extended the life of a TV by at least 4 years, it's still going strong at the minute. First soldering job I ever did as a 15y/o running off a YouTube tutorial, bought some capacitors off maplin and changed them using an old soldering gun, disaster of a job. Got an iron two weeks later because the gun was so bad.

Fixed an old Xbox 360 that wasn't reading discs last year for a mate, totally dismantled the disc drive and reset everything in it.

Did general phone and electronic repairs for 2-3 years to make cash when I was in school but they're the repairs that I'm most proud of.

I've an N64 joystick, two Xbox 360 controllers and a couple of Game Boy Colour games on my desk that need a bit of work when I get time.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,828 ✭✭✭5rtytry56

I've an N64 joystick, two Xbox 360 controllers and a couple of Game Boy Colour games on my desk that need a bit of work when I get time.

Gives me notions about what I should do with my Nintendo 3DS XL. Bought 3 years ago, but never really used to any serious extent.;)

5rtytry56 wrote: »
    Gives me notions about what I should do with my Nintendo 3DS XL. Bought 3 years ago, but never really used to any serious extent.;)

Drop any foolish notions of maturity and buy a Pokemon/Zelda/Kirby/Monster Hunter/Mario game.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,703 ✭✭✭✭K.O.Kiki

That reminds me, I need to resurrect my Konami Hyper Stick again.

*(release date: 1996-06-28)

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 8,766 Mod ✭✭✭✭mossym

calling some of that stuff old?

just found and got my creative nomad 64 mb mp3 player running. dates from around 2000. 32mg storage with a slot for an additional 32mb.

right beside it is my 6gb original ipod, mechanical scroll wheel, firewire, black and white monochrome display, standard laptop mechanical drive. 2001 or 2002 i think.

80gb ipod classics and xbox 360s old???? sheesh (;) :):) )

mossym wrote: »
    calling some of that stuff old?

just found and got my creative nomad 64 mb mp3 player running. dates from around 2000. 32mg storage with a slot for an additional 32mb.

right beside it is my 6gb original ipod, mechanical scroll wheel, firewire, black and white monochrome display, standard laptop mechanical drive. 2001 or 2002 i think.

80gb ipod classics and xbox 360s old???? sheesh.

Obviously it's hard to put someone like yours wallet on a diet.

Obviously it's hard to put someone like yours wallet on a diet.

wasn't having a go, was a joke, meant to add some smiley faces, it does lose the meaning without them. but feel free to make it personal alright

but the idea of calling a 360 or nano old when you still see loads of them rocking around is funny in fairness.

now with the commodore 64, that's old.

• Registered Users Posts: 68 ✭✭Blahfool

Old free office clearout pc.
    Xp, 128(!)mb ram.
    Got some memory for €2 on adverts, clean install.
    Runs electronic drum kit now.
    Just can't throw away old tech.

Now if I can just find a way to put it in a cool case and use my 4"b&w analogue tv screen as its monitor I'm all set.

Could do it much better with a pi or something, but this was free!

Never called it old, it was resurrected from the scrapheap is all.

N64 is from '96 anyways ;)

*edit* okay I called the 360 old but we're not getting pedantic anyways

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,495 ✭✭✭Lu Tze

No resurrecting involved in this, other than cosmetic. My Dads first AC Mains radio. Still working. Old enough to have a seperate earth.

Used it when i was teenager and LW252 was to go to station for music!

Sadly without a 40 foot aerial cable attached, the interference is pretty bad. Have listened to matches on BBC through it though with my paltry 10 foot cable aerial attached, and wrapped around the ceiling of my room. Can pick up continental stations as well.

373543.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 22,929 ✭✭✭✭ShadowHearth

Get fecking monster hunter, then pretty much chain 3ds to your wrist. :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 246 ✭✭Alcoheda

I did a softmod on an old original Xbox.

The method I used involved swapping the ide ribbon cable into a pc while the unit is powered on.

I managed to find a 400GB ide drive to put into it so I had almost the entire catalog of games plus every rom/emulator known to man on it.

It served as a media center and NAS for years and now my sister uses it to play all the zelda games she played when she was a kid.

Best 10 euro I ever spent.

Blahfool wrote: »
    Old free office clearout pc.
    Xp, 128(!)mb ram.
    Got some memory for €2 on adverts, clean install.
    Runs electronic drum kit now.
    Just can't throw away old tech.

Now if I can just find a way to put it in a cool case and use my 4"b&w analogue tv screen as its monitor I'm all set.

Could do it much better with a pi or something, but this was free!

some of the older graphics cards, agp and the early pci-e had a composite ouput (yellow cable, 480i/576i composite video). if you could get your hands on one of those, a composite to rf converter/rf video modulator should be easy enough to find. that'll give you a signal you can hook up to the antenna in on the tv if it has one, should work. cheap enough too,given the concerns about money here.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 571 ✭✭✭pcuser

I replaced a broken nds screen before, As well as changing a laptop screen. Ive had bits lying around the house and upgraded ram on some mates laptops,

• Registered Users Posts: 68 ✭✭Blahfool

mossym wrote: »
    some of the older graphics cards, agp and the early pci-e had a composite ouput (yellow cable, 480i/576i composite video). if you could get your hands on one of those, a composite to rf converter/rf video modulator should be easy enough to find. that'll give you a signal you can hook up to the antenna in on the tv if it has one, should work. cheap enough too,given the concerns about money here.

Deadly. I'd love to keep the screen in its original clock/radio/telly case. It's too cool. I believe the aerial (telescopic) may be just wired to the pcb.
    Thanks for this.
    Phase 2!

Alcoheda wrote: »
    I did a softmod on an old original Xbox.

The method I used involved swapping the ide ribbon cable into a pc while the unit is powered on.

I managed to find a 400GB ide drive to put into it so I had almost the entire catalog of games plus every rom/emulator known to man on it.

It served as a media center and NAS for years and now my sister uses it to play all the zelda games she played when she was a kid.

Best 10 euro I ever spent.

That sounds much easier than the hoops a PS2 Slim makes you jump through for backups and stuff.

Colour me interested, Winter Project is now In place.

Pleasantly surprised to see the number of posts on this thread. Thought that most Irish people were heading the way of pure consumer driven purchasers of tech: when the device is passé then use any excuse to get rid of it. This is not the case. I'll try and get a few pics of my own in here later.

• Registered Users Posts: 246 ✭✭Alcoheda

That sounds much easier than the hoops a PS2 Slim makes you jump through for backups and stuff.

Colour me interested, Winter Project is now In place.

Well there's a little more to it than that but it's not too difficult.
    This website should have all the resources and info you'll need.
    http://www.xbox-scene.com

Found this on YouTube for DS owners of all shapes and sizes quite useful ;)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q9lee98fEqA

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,309 ✭✭✭✭wotzgoingon

Lu Tze wrote: »
    No resurrecting involved in this, other than cosmetic. My Dads first AC Mains radio. Still working. Old enough to have a seperate earth.

Used it when i was teenager and LW252 was to go to station for music!

Sadly without a 40 foot aerial cable attached, the interference is pretty bad. Have listened to matches on BBC through it though with my paltry 10 foot cable aerial attached, and wrapped around the ceiling of my room. Can pick up continental stations as well.

v

Ah yes, Long Wave Radio Atlantic 252.

Advertisement