Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

PAO vs hydrocracked oil

Options
  • 28-07-2016 2:38pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 2,881 ✭✭✭

Hi all

I've seen numerous posts on Boards talking about different brands of engine oil and base oil groups. I've seen that Group III oils are hydrocracked and Group IV oils are PAO and apparently Group IV oils are better. I also saw that Mobil1 oils are Group IV.

Anyway so I go onto Amazon.de (because in Germany it's illegal to brand hydrocracked oil as fully synthetic), found myself some Ford spec oil from Mobil1 and the packaging clearly says "SHC-Synthese" which is hydrocracked oil.

In fact looking at the Mobil 1 oils on Amazon, they all seem to be SHC marked (Synthetic HydroCracked). Is there any Group IV oils available at all or are these claims that Mobil1 is a Group IV oil are false?

The only oil I've found that says fully synthetic is Motul: https://www.amazon.de/Motul-8100-Eco-nergy-5W-30-5L/dp/B004WDDD82/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1469713186&sr=8-2&keywords=motul+5w30+a5

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 13,535 ✭✭✭✭joujoujou
    Unregistered Users

shietpilot wrote: »
    [...] Is there any Group IV oils available at all [...]

There are some. Found 4 here:

http://www.sortoil.com/tag/pao-en/

There are more alright, but rare as hens teeth. :(

Generally, if you want to check if oil is PAO or not, just do what you did - compare it to its German version.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,881 ✭✭✭shietpilot

Is it really worth it going for a PAO oil though? Ford dealerships for example use Castrol which is hydrocracked. Fords own brand oil which is also made by Castrol is hydrocracked too.

Unregistered Users

Is it really worth it going for a PAO oil though?
    IMO - it depends on engine's age and condition.
    Ford dealerships for example use Castrol which is hydrocracked. Fords own brand oil which is also made by Castrol is hydrocracked too.
    Dealers use what they have a contract with, if you know what I mean. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 832 ✭✭✭harvester of sorrow

Hi all

I've seen numerous posts on Boards talking about different brands of engine oil and base oil groups. I've seen that Group III oils are hydrocracked and Group IV oils are PAO and apparently Group IV oils are better. I also saw that Mobil1 oils are Group IV.

Anyway so I go onto Amazon.de (because in Germany it's illegal to brand hydrocracked oil as fully synthetic), found myself some Ford spec oil from Mobil1 and the packaging clearly says "SHC-Synthese" which is hydrocracked oil.

In fact looking at the Mobil 1 oils on Amazon, they all seem to be SHC marked (Synthetic HydroCracked). Is there any Group IV oils available at all or are these claims that Mobil1 is a Group IV oil are false?

The only oil I've found that says fully synthetic is Motul: https://www.amazon.de/Motul-8100-Eco-nergy-5W-30-5L/dp/B004WDDD82/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1469713186&sr=8-2&keywords=motul+5w30+a5
    SHC=Synthetic Hydro Carbon

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,881 ✭✭✭shietpilot

Nice, so more BS from oil threads on forums. Seems like any oil with the correct spec is good enough.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,615 ✭✭✭grogi

Is it really worth it going for a PAO oil though? Ford dealerships for example use Castrol which is hydrocracked. Fords own brand oil which is also made by Castrol is hydrocracked too.

PAO are better when working in extreme condition, such as heat and are able to cope with it better - transport it away from the pistons etc. For a car that is not part of a competition - HC oil will actually be a better choice.

HC bases are capable of carrying the additives much better. It takes serious engineering and a half of the elements tables to build a stable PAO based oil.

Unregistered Users

No, sir.

https://www.bizol.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=10&t=86#p195

http://www.machinerylubrication.com/Read/29113/base-oil-groups

And finally, this:

[...] HC-Öle werden bei API Group II teilweise, bei API Group III sollständig, durch Hydrocracking gewonnen. [...]
    German alright, but IMO needs no translation.

joujoujou wrote: »

Tldr.
    If I buy a 208 litre drum of SHC Cibus 46,
    Shc in this instance stands for synthetic hydro carbon,not hydrocracked.

Nice, so more BS from oil threads on forums. Seems like any oil with the correct spec is good enough.

Pretty much.
    Once viscosity grades are on point the rest is just additives and unless your driving a high performance car ie.formula 1 for example, it's not going to have a massive impact.

Unregistered Users

Tldr.
    If I buy a 208 litre drum of SHC Cibus 46,
    Shc in this instance stands for synthetic hydro carbon,not hydrocracked.
    Yeah, industrial machinery lubricant compared to motor oil - perfect comparison indeed. czolem.gif

Keep talking...

• Advertisement

Yeah, industrial machinery lubricant compared to motor oil - perfect comparison indeed. czolem.gif

Keep talking...

Smh.
    Took you all of two days to Google it.Well done you're on the ball.
    It doesn't matter if it's hydraulic oil as stated above or engine oil.
    The thread is about PAO vs Hydrocracked.. The example I used was to highlight (and I'll say it again)SHC stands for synthetic hydro carbon.

Unregistered Users

I was away last 2 days, but its actually none of your business at all.

And just to inform you if you did not spot it yet - we're talking about HC Synthese oils not SHC oils.

//Thread unfollowed.

I was away last 2 days, but its actually none of your business at all.

And just to inform you if you did not spot it yet - we're talking about HC Synthese oils not SHC oils.

//Thread unfollowed.

Well spotted,as i said you're on the ball.
    Cya.

Advertisement