Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Hot hatch

Options
  • 28-07-2016 1:58pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,648 ✭✭✭

I'm in the market for a newer performance hatchback. Currently driving a 2011 Leon FR 170, but don't need a diesel anymore(never did truth be told!) and want a petrol again.

Looking at 2013 on Focus ST and Leon Cupra, anyone any experience with these? Or any others you'd recommend ahead of them. Except a Golf! I'm currently living up north so the could buy from England no problem.

Just for checking what VRT would be if I wanted to move back to the republic, is there a list of statistical codes in case the car isn't an option in the drop down menus?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,249 ✭✭✭pippip

Audi S3?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,106 ✭✭✭dar83

If you're looking at a Focus ST then I'd realistically be looking to come up in the years and get the facelift, it's a lot nicer than the original Mk3. It may however be out of budget.

• Registered Users Posts: 53,262 ✭✭✭✭GavRedKing

The Focus ST would be a lot cheaper than a similar age S3, it would be the same in terms of VRT if you're moving South anytime soon.

S3 would have more toys and IMO, a nicer placer to sit, apart from that, its down to personal choice and budget.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,648 ✭✭✭gooch2k9

Yeah, the S3 is quite expensive. I had test drove one a month or two ago and it didn't impress

Test drove a '15 Leon Cupra 280 today. Breathtaking stuff! Handled every bit as well as the S3 Quattro. Serious acceleration as expected. Putting it in Cupra mode meant I couldn't stop smiling. I'm lucky it was only a three door or I might have taken it there and then. A lot more fun than the S3.

On the VRT front I saw sense, I couldn't insure any of them in the ROI so not an issue!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,863 ✭✭✭MuddyDog

gooch2k9 wrote: »
    Yeah, the S3 is quite expensive. I had test drove one a month or two ago and it didn't impress

Test drove a '15 Leon Cupra 280 today. Breathtaking stuff! Handled every bit as well as the S3 Quattro. Serious acceleration as expected. Putting it in Cupra mode meant I couldn't stop smiling. I'm lucky it was only a three door or I might have taken it there and then. A lot more fun than the S3.

On the VRT front I saw sense, I couldn't insure any of them in the ROI so not an issue!

Did you drive the S3 saloon or hatch?

MuddyDog wrote: »
    Did you drive the S3 saloon or hatch?

It was a 2011 Hatch Black Edition. Think it has the older version DSG compared to the Leon.

• Registered Users Posts: 51,158 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

Pretty much settled on the Leon Cupra, but deary me it's not easy to buy a car up here!

At two dealers I've visited in recent months, the staff have been driving the cars i wanted to test drive. The first (S3) I got to drive but the car was ridiculously messy, put me off. Today I went to drive a manual Cupra to see how it compared to the DSG, but the service manager had gone home in it a full two hours before closing. I almost get the impression the lads in the yard want to keep the fun cars in stock.

Advertisement