Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What is a grantee?

Options
  • 28-07-2016 1:42pm
    Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 11,313 Mod ✭✭✭✭

In the will calendars the second name mentioned is the grantee and it struck me today looking at a particular entry that I don't actually know what is meant by the grantee. Can anyone tell me more?

Genealogy Forum Mod

Comments

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 6,622 Mod ✭✭✭✭pinkypinky

A grantee is someone who is getting something in a will or a deed. The grantor is the giver. So in a lease of land, the grantor is the owner or current holder of a piece of land, and they "grant" use of said land to A N OTHER.

Genealogy Forum Mod

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 11,313 Mod ✭✭✭✭Hermy

Thanks Pinky.

I thought it was something like that but wondered if there was more to it.

Genealogy Forum Mod

• Registered Users Posts: 683 ✭✭✭KildareFan

I always assumed it was the person to whom probate in the will was granted.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,943 ✭✭✭tabbey

KildareFan wrote: »
    I always assumed it was the person to whom probate in the will was granted.

Kildare fan is entirely correct in regard to the Will and Administration calendars, they always say "Probate / Administration was granted at Dublin / Armagh or wherever to X, Y or whoever.

It is quite possible that the person granted probate, may not be a beneficiary.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,108 ✭✭✭pedroeibar1

Actually none of the above info is incorrect. :)

In general the grantee is the party who receives title to real property (can also be called the beneficiary, buyer, recipient, donee, devisee) from the seller/transferor (grantor) by a document called a grant deed or quit claim deed. The word can be specific to a particular transfer action – e.g. Hermy’s OP was very specific, wills calendar; the executor/executrix will apply to take out a grant of probate, so when that is granted the recipient becomes the ‘grantee’.

When a person inherits they generally are a ‘beneficiary’. Different words are specific to what is being transferred and how. A gift of real property by the last will and testament of the donor can also be a ‘devise’ so the recipient can be described as a devisee. (e.g. “I will, devise and bequeath …..” )

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 26,120 ✭✭✭✭Peregrinus

Actually none of the above info is incorrect. :)

In general the grantee is the party who receives title to real property (can also be called the beneficiary, buyer, recipient, donee, devisee) from the seller/transferor (grantor) by a document called a grant deed or quit claim deed. The word can be specific to a particular transfer action – e.g. Hermy’s OP was very specific, wills calendar; the executor/executrix will apply to take out a grant of probate, so when that is granted the recipient becomes the ‘grantee’.
    Is that not what KildareFan said?

In any event, I agree with both of you. In a wills calendar the "grantees" are the people to whom probate has been granted. They will usually, but not always, be people who expect to benefit from the estate, but you won't know that from the wills calendar.

Advertisement