Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Panel or non-panel antennae when signal location is known

Options
  • 28-07-2016 8:21am
    Registered Users Posts: 1,152 ✭✭✭

Hey all,
    With Vodafones recent bump in allowance from 50GB -> 150GB for the 4G plan its time to make the move to LTE for the house broadband, and relegate the DSL to failover (I work from home, so will keep both).
    House insulation plays havoc with the signal inside, but no insulation in attic rafters, so great 4g up there (checked with phone). I'm pretty sure the gable end of the house has LOS to the nearest 4g mast, which is approx 1.9 miles away.
    So something like an E5186 would probably get some signal without external antennae. However, I'd want to get the best possible signal, so I'm considering getting some external antennae.
    Reading the forums here, people seem to hold the Poyntings in high regard, even if they are a bit pricey, I'm not sure whether I should be mounting for example either:
    2 x LPDA-92
    or
    1 x XPOL-2
    , on the gable wall facing the mast
    TBH, I find it difficult to determine what the fundamental difference is between the two other than gain figures and obvious appearance.
    Can anyone give any recommendations/pointers?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 777 ✭✭✭editorsean

I would suggest going for the panel antenna. Once you get over a certain signal strength, you will be getting the maximum you can get on the downlink. For example, you can probably get the maximum downlink speed already with the router on its own in the attic. The antenna will likely improve the uplink performance as well as reduce interference coming from other directions.

The huge antennas would be a much better option for rural installations, but they do have a few potential drawbacks. Just like large TV yagi antennas, strong gusts can affect their performance and if a seagull lands on one, that could potentially buckle a few elements, if not the whole antenna with each being 1.1m (about 4 feet) long.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,152 ✭✭✭heavydawson

editorsean wrote: »
    I would suggest going for the panel antenna. Once you get over a certain signal strength, you will be getting the maximum you can get on the downlink. For example, you can probably get the maximum downlink speed already with the router on its own in the attic. The antenna will likely improve the uplink performance as well as reduce interference coming from other directions.

The huge antennas would be a much better option for rural installations, but they do have a few potential drawbacks. Just like large TV yagi antennas, strong gusts can affect their performance and if a seagull lands on one, that could potentially buckle a few elements, if not the whole antenna with each being 1.1m (about 4 feet) long.

Good advice. So I guess, buy the router, check the link, and if needed, get the antennae. Appreciate it!

Advertisement