Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Leaving Cert

Options
  • 27-07-2016 11:55pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1

I was just wondering if there is anyone out there who has completed the leaving cert and achieved good results and got the points they needed for their course. Exactly how hard is it? From past experience doing the junior cert I know how much pressure teachers put on us including parents and I nearly have a panic attack at the prospect of teachers telling us "5 hours study" a day.I am going into 5th year in September and I want to pursue a career in teaching or medicine so I know I'm going to have to work my ass off but I want to keep other options open too so I'm aiming between 470-550 so how much study is really needed? and how did you's manage time for family,friends,sports and hobbies throughout the two years? -thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9 Ende

Hey Flashbang180,

Personally I think that staying on top of homework and work and studying for christmas and summer tests is enough in 5th year.. You don't need to be doing long hours of study in 5th year, it's a bit excessive, in my opinion anyway..

I think a main thing to do is try and understand the material in all subjects, rather than rote learning because if you really understand something, it's so much harder to forget it..

In 6th year, I think it's easy to get really stressed out but if you make a good study plan and just stick to it, you shouldn't get too bad.. Obviously around the orals will be stressful no matter how much study you've done.. I found learning some sraith pictiur over the summer of 5th year took a lot of pressure off and I also read books in german to improve my vocab..

If you do intend to study medicine, then the Hpat is the priority, instead of your Pre's.. Like the pre's give you experience but if you don't prioritise the Hpat then even if you get 8A1s in the Lc, you mightn't do well enough in Hpat to get in..

I think if you stick to your plans and are organised in 6th year then you should be able to go out and enjoy yourself.. That was my approach anyways..

I don't know what subjects you do but if you need more tips just ask..

Btw I got 7A1's in English, Irish, Maths, German, Biology, Chemistry and Accounting.. I stuck to what I spoke about above and didn't get too stressed.. My school was really good and my teachers were great so that really helped..

Hope this helps ☺,
    Ende

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,142 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

Please research the jobs situation for teaching, particularly secondary, though it's almost as bad at primary.

See this thread: http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2057624744

The amount of work required at LC is substantially more than at JC. They are very different exams.

Do not miss any days at school.
    Do every bit of homework as if it were an exam question.
    Do not sit near the class 'clowns/characters/fools'.
    Do not leave a classroom not understanding something that was covered. Stay behind and talk to the teacher if necessary.
    Between now and when you go back to school, read at least one of the books on your English course.

Advertisement