Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

VW Polo ticking over at 700rpm

Options
  • 27-07-2016 10:07pm
    Registered Users Posts: 237 ✭✭

VW Polo ticking over at 700rpm I want to bring it up to 900. How can I do that?

It's the 1.2, 3 cylinder Polo

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 81,223 ✭✭✭✭biko

Does car stall?

Is car new to you?

You can try reset the ECU by disconnecting battery for 30 mins. You may need the radio code afterwards.

• Registered Users Posts: 237 ✭✭Ruxjit

No it doesn't stall, have the car a few years it's always had low tick over.

I was thinking it could via the ECU through the right software?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,756 ✭✭✭ianobrien

Why do you want to bring it up? Some cars have a low idle. For example, the Almera I had before, the hot idle was 650rpm according to the manual (a figure in that region).

Unless the idle is lumpy, I'd leave it alone. If you go flashing the ECU, the car is now modified and the insurance would have to be told. It's not like the old days of messing with an idle screw in the carb.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,569 ✭✭✭Special Circumstances

Considering the engine.... if it's not idling right then upping the idle is only masking a problem. It probably needs a coil... or new valves.

• Registered Users Posts: 81,223 ✭✭✭✭biko

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 237 ✭✭Ruxjit

I'd say is rougher than that.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,569 ✭✭✭Special Circumstances

Das Polo, Das TukTuk
    https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/d/d0/Tuk-Tuk_Sri_Lanka.jpg

Last one I heard running proper rough needed fair spondoolicks spent on it... whoever says the Germans don't have a sense of humour has never experienced the 6v 3cyl polo "engine".

Advertisement