Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Stuck racking up arrears on van tax

Options
  • 27-07-2016 8:02pm
    Registered Users Posts: 296 ✭✭

My DOE ran out in May and the van has an issue that will mean it wont pass till I get it fixed, I don't have the money to get the van fixed at the moment.

So I thought I'd declare the van as off the road, only problem is to do that I need to pay my tax arrears and 3 month tax, but I can't do that without my DOE :rolleyes:

What am I supposed to do here?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,406 ✭✭✭PirateShampoo

If your desperate you could "sell" it to a family member or friend.

• Registered Users Posts: 296 ✭✭Krazzzzy Kay

If your desperate you could "sell" it to a family member or friend.

I was thinking of doing this, then just buy it back / change the log book again? does this work?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,006 ✭✭✭bmwguy

I was thinking of doing this, then just buy it back / change the log book again? does this work?

Yes, but it will add 2 owners on registration cert. Don't know if this bothers you or not.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,816 ✭✭✭mulbot

Yes it does, have done it,with no issues

bmwguy wrote: »
    Yes, but it will add 2 owners on registration cert. Don't know if this bothers you or not.

Nope doesn't bother me at all, the van is not worth a great deal and I don't think it would effect the re-sale value.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,297 ✭✭✭savagethegoat

for the record (seeing as you asked) what your supposed to do is declare it off the road before the tax expires. Won't help you but may help someone else.

The selling and buying back seems to be officially tolerated and is the way to go. Daft arrangement altogether isn't it

mulbot wrote: »
    Yes it does, have done it,with no issues

So What I'm think then is I'll sell it to the mother and then buy it back, this wont raise any red flags?

for the record (seeing as you asked) what your supposed to do is declare it off the road before the tax expires. Won't help you but may help someone else.

The selling and buying back seems to be officially tolerated and is the way to go. Daft arrangement altogether isn't it

Yeah I can see that, utterly stupid, like you can predict every time your going to be off the road :rolleyes:

at least there is a way of getting around it.:D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,816 ✭✭✭mulbot

So What I'm think then is I'll sell it to the mother and then buy it back, this wont raise any red flags?

I have never sold to family,usually just friend or girlfriend etc, but family might just be as easy for you,maybe another family member in a different address

mulbot wrote: »
    I have never sold to family,usually just friend or girlfriend etc, but family might just be as easy for you,maybe another family member in a different address

Yeah different address and different surname, I'l ask my sister instead of my mam :cool:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,326 ✭✭✭alta stare

Yeah different address and different surname, I'l ask my sister instead of my mam :cool:

Iv swapped it out before with my brother who is at the same address. No issues at all.

anyone you can trust will do.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,387 ✭✭✭D0NNELLY

Just make sure to leave swapping ownership till you're ready to do the doe..

Obvious i know.. but i know a lad who swapped and the cab wasnt ready to go.. same hassle all over again!

D0NNELLY wrote: »

Obvious i know.. but i know a lad who swapped and the cab wasnt ready to go.. same hassle all over again!

I will admit my mind initially did jump to "get this done", but I realized there is no rush after a few minutes :D.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,915 ✭✭✭✭Del2005

Don't you have the option to declare it off the road within a few days of buying?

• Registered Users Posts: 16,089 ✭✭✭✭CiniO

Del2005 wrote: »
    Don't you have the option to declare it off the road within a few days of buying?

Of course you do - 21 days.

Yeah I can see that, utterly stupid, like you can predict every time your going to be off the road :rolleyes:

at least there is a way of getting around it.:D

You actually can...
    If f.e. your tax expires at end of July, it's as simple as deciding before end of July if you want to tax it or declare it off the road. Both can be done online.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26,658 ✭✭✭✭OldMrBrennan83

This post has been deleted.

CiniO wrote: »
    You actually can...
    If f.e. your tax expires at end of July, it's as simple as deciding before end of July if you want to tax it or declare it off the road. Both can be done online.

I'm between jobs and thought I'd be working by now and would have the van fixed, but now I'm not sure when I'll be back working, so...

Patww79 wrote: »

Well there's only really two options.
    Either it is going to be used on the road, and in that case it should be taxed before end of month tax expires.
    Or it is not going to be used on the road, and then it can be declared off the road (same - before the end of the month tax expires).

Off road declaration can be always cancelled at anytime, just by taxing the vehicle.

I'm between jobs and thought I'd be working by now and would have the van fixed, but now I'm not sure when I'll be back working, so...

That's my point.
    When your tax was about to expire (say on 31st of the month), you already knew if you were going to be using the car next day (on the 1st of next month or in the next few following days).
    If you knew you were going to be driving, you should have taxed it.
    If you knew you were not going to be driving (even if it's only for few days) you could have declared the car off the road.
    If circumstances changed, and you needed to use the car say from 5th of the next month, you could always pay the tax there and then (online) and start driving.

• Advertisement

Well there's only really two options.
    Either it is going to be used on the road, and in that case it should be taxed before end of month tax expires.
    Or it is not going to be used on the road, and then it can be declared off the road (same - before the end of the month tax expires).

Off road declaration can be always cancelled at anytime, just by taxing the vehicle.

That's my point.
    When your tax was about to expire (say on 31st of the month), you already knew if you were going to be using the car next day (on the 1st of next month or in the next few following days).
    If you knew you were going to be driving, you should have taxed it.
    If you knew you were not going to be driving (even if it's only for few days) you could have declared the car off the road.
    If circumstances changed, and you needed to use the car say from 5th of the next month, you could always pay the tax there and then (online) and start driving.

I'm pretty sure I couldn't pay it online after I've declared it of the road, your pin is only good for a month, then you have to go into the motor tax office to renew it (paying a bit in arrears is worth no visit to the tax office in my opinion) .

Realistically it made no sense for me to declare it of the road till now.

I'm pretty sure I couldn't pay it online after I've declared it of the road, your pin is only good for a month, then you have to go into the motor tax office to renew it (paying a bit in arrears is worth no visit to the tax office in my opinion) .

Realistically it made no sense for me to declare it of the road till now.

You can pay it online anytime you wish...
    No need to go to motortax office at all.

You can pay it online anytime you wish...
    No need to go to motortax office at all.

That's not true :confused: I let it run out last year and had to go into the tax office, the pin expires, unless they've changed it since last year.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,387 ✭✭✭D0NNELLY

You can request a new pin

You can request a new pin

Is that not only if you've lost your pin, but it's still not expired? maybe I'm wrong.

you are wrong.

Patww79 wrote: »

declaring it off the road before the tax expires is exactly what you have to do. On the last day of the month you have the option of either taxing it or SORDing it. If you declare it off the road , the SORD doesn't start until the the day after the tax expires. I declared my camper off the road a couple of weeks ago and got notification that the SORD commences on 1st August after the tax expires.

303fm1i.png

• Registered Users Posts: 4,279 ✭✭✭The Bishop Basher

Why would you bother with all this messing and having to pay arrears when you can just wait till you need to tax it and change the ownership ?

OP - I regularly change the ownership on mine. No need for a different address or anything. You can change it to a family member, change it back and away you go.

I've sold cars with 20 plus owners. No one cares once you explain the reason.

Cheers.

Advertisement