Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Results

Options
  • 27-07-2016 6:43pm
    Registered Users Posts: 5

Probably not the right thread for this so if a moderator would like to move it to the correct thread they are more than welcome.
    Looking to get advice from people who would know about this.
    So there's a portfolio that has to be done in the leaving cert, which has to be all your own work, the school that two students were in (Student A and Student B) got a phone call to say that they wouldn't be correcting their portfolio as they're exactly the same as each other's.
    Now, student A had it completed really well, the teacher decided to print it ( without permission from Student A) and give it to other people in the class and other classes as an example. So student A was worried throughout the year that other people would copy it, and has went to the teacher a few times about it but the teacher said each time that nobody would, they were told not to copy it etc..
    So student B copied it and now neither of them can get it corrected the state said they won't correct them.
    So student A, with all their good work and effort that they put in, isn't being graded on that exam as a teacher handed out her work to other students as an example and another student copied it.
    What's going to happen now? Can anything be done about it?

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,138 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

Has this actually happened or are you asking a 'what if'?

Has the teacher involved been contacted about it?
    Has either student been contacted about it?

How did you hear about it?

• Registered Users Posts: 5 Hidden123

spurious wrote: »
    Has this actually happened or are you asking a 'what if'?

Has the teacher involved been contacted about it?
    Has either student been contacted about it?

How did you hear about it?

It has happened, I know "Student A", the school has been in touch with them, "student A" has to go to the school but they can't give info on "student B", just curious as to what may happen now and if there's any sort of justice that can be given to "Student A" as it is something they're depending on.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,138 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

If Student A has been contacted, I would be surprised if Student B hasn't also been. The school for obvious reasons cannot tell Student A anything about B.

The best chance would be B coming clean and admitting they copied, but if that doesn't happen, they will both lose out.

The teacher needs a real kick up the barney.
    They give a completed project to the lazies who didn't bother to do one and think they won't copy it?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,120 ✭✭✭mtoutlemonde

Hidden123 wrote: »
    It has happened, I know "Student A", the school has been in touch with them, "student A" has to go to the school but they can't give info on "student B", just curious as to what may happen now and if there's any sort of justice that can be given to "Student A" as it is something they're depending on.

You could discuss what you said earlier with the principal of the school who will probably be dealing with this. I would suggest student A opens the files and take screenshots of when the files were created and provide them as proof. Then ask student B to present same.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 855 ✭✭✭TSMGUY

"Student B" sounds like a really inconsiderate **** tbh. Student A shouldn't have their work disbarred because of some plagiarist. If Student A could their teacher to write a statement to the effect that it was his/her original work and that B was given a copy of it, the SEC should be reasonable enough to give Student A the proper grade.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,246 ✭✭✭judeboy101

Id tell student A to lawyer up and make a complaint to the SEC documenting what they think the school has done. The solicitor should b able to secure affit davits from students that student A knows saw their exemplar. The principal has to protect teacher otherwise he and bom are ****ed. They will easily throw student A and B under bus.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,812 ✭✭✭✭evolving_doors

Is a teacher allowed to distribute another students project work?
    Sure on a day to day basis you can show the class a students homework as an exemplar ( with students permission!)

But for a state exam I would imagine each script would have a certain amount of privacy required.
    Also maybe not relevant but did the teacher request permission from the student A... written permission! Can a minor actually give written permission (might have to go through the parents for that).

So it might be 'implied' to Student A that "oh you gave permission so you are complicit too so we suggest you do nothing in case it would harm your chances".

I'd urge Student A not to go into any meeting on their own.. bring a parent and be careful about being talked into anything. If anything Student A should be getting the teacher/school to corroborate his side of the story in the company of witnesses.

student A should be proactive and NOT wait for their school to sort it out for them. Ring the SEC and make them the point of contact. Would I be right in saying that Student A is no longer actually a student of that school?

That's probably a very paranoid answer but I think caution is important depending on what way the school acts. (maybe they'll come out hands up and try and see Student A right).

Time is an issue too if Student A needs those points for College place (even sorting out accommodation early, rather than being put on hold).

You could make a complaint to the school/bom too and mention the new teaching council hearings if you don't get a satisfactory response. But again that's a guns-blazing approach.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,482 ✭✭✭Hollister11

If I was students A, I'd be getting a solicitor on the case straight away. All that hard work, potentially ruined by a lazy cheating ****.

If I was students A, I'd be getting a solicitor on the case straight away. All that hard work, potentially ruined by a lazy cheating ****.

Aided and abetted by the teacher.

• Registered Users Posts: 5 Hidden123

Right well "Student A" had a meeting with the school, they were told that the teacher knows it was their work and the principle and the teacher are behind them all the way, but "Student B" is completely denying copying the document. "Student A" was shown the two documents and it was copied word for word even with a spelling mistake which "Student A" made. They were told to email someone from SEC and they will make a decision soon.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,120 ✭✭✭mtoutlemonde

Right well "Student A" had a meeting with the school, they were told that the teacher knows it was their work and the principle and the teacher are behind them all the way, but "Student B" is completely denying copying the document. "Student A" was shown the two documents and it was copied word for word even with a spelling mistake which "Student A" made. They were told to email someone from SEC and they will make a decision soon.

That's good. Did student A take screen shots of the dates when their work was created? I'm glad the school is behind the correct candidate but that teacher deserves a good kick up the backside - can't believe any professional teacher would give another student and in this case a lazy student, the work of a student who did the work.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,812 ✭✭✭✭evolving_doors

Still though, if student B maintains that he didn't copy, then it would be unfair for the SEC to call it based on 2 similar papers only.
    It would then fall back to the school/teacher to verify that that work was copied (or the original work was students A's)... and then I would imagine student B still has the right to contest it.
    Student B is still entitled to due process and to put forward a case... and keep in mind that if a case arises then it would all come out in the wash that the teacher distributed a student's work. What did the teacher expect to happen by distributing the work anyway?

But that's probably taking it to one extreme, student B will probably own up and take the rap for the teachers bad judgement.

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 29,509 Mod ✭✭✭✭randylonghorn

Gebgbegb wrote: »
    But that's probably taking it to one extreme, student B will probably own up and take the rap for the teachers bad judgement.
    While I fully agree with you about the teacher's bad judgement, a Leaving Cert student is plenty old enough to know that copying another student's work is cheating, and that's what they're taking the rap for in the end.

Advertisement