Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Bonus protection / claim

Options
  • 27-07-2016 6:32pm
    Registered Users Posts: 59 ✭✭

So I made a stupid mistake today turning into a narrow lane way and scratched the side of my car quite badly off the wall. In 10 years of driving I've never damaged any car so I'm furious with myself to say the least.

Anyway, this leaves me with a question. I have full bonus protection on my Allianz insurance which means nothing happens to my full no claims bonus if it's the only claim in 3 years (if there was to be a second claim it would revert back 3 years). If I do decide to claim through my insurance for this damage, will it make future policies more expensive, either with Allianz or with another insurer? I always shop around for best quotes each year so not sure that I like the idea of being tied down to Allianz for years if claiming through them now means other insurers will penalise me for claiming this year.

Haven't gotten a quote yet to assess the cost of the damage nor have I spoken to the insurance company yet. Want to see what the consequences will be for claiming before I discuss with insurer.

Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 24,647 ✭✭✭✭punisher5112

Fix yourself your premium will only go 1 way.

• Registered Users Posts: 59 ✭✭Lycoge

Fix yourself your premium will only go 1 way.

Now I'm faced with uncertainty about making a claim, I'm wondering why I've bothered paying fully comp for 10 years. Pay extra for fully comp and full bonus protection but if need to use it, premiums rise in the future anyway. Not a happy driver today.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,089 ✭✭✭✭CiniO

Lycoge wrote: »
    So I made a stupid mistake today turning into a narrow lane way and scratched the side of my car quite badly off the wall. In 10 years of driving I've never damaged any car so I'm furious with myself to say the least.

Anyway, this leaves me with a question. I have full bonus protection on my Allianz insurance which means nothing happens to my full no claims bonus if it's the only claim in 3 years (if there was to be a second claim it would revert back 3 years). If I do decide to claim through my insurance for this damage, will it make future policies more expensive, either with Allianz or with another insurer? I always shop around for best quotes each year so not sure that I like the idea of being tied down to Allianz for years if claiming through them now means other insurers will penalise me for claiming this year.

Haven't gotten a quote yet to assess the cost of the damage nor have I spoken to the insurance company yet. Want to see what the consequences will be for claiming before I discuss with insurer.

Thanks

Your premium with Allianz most like won't go up.
    I was in the same situation 5 years ago (with Allianz) and my premium didn't go up at all.
    However on a annual NCB statement they normally issue to you, it will state that you have 50% NCB as it states now, but will also state "years claims free driving - 0", as well as list the claim and amount paid.
    This would highly limit you options in looking for insurance elsewhere.

I didn't make a difference for me, as I was staying with Allianz anyway as they were cheapest in all cases for those 5 years.

Remember as well, that you surely have a excess with them (I think standard is €250) so this is a portion of a claim you'll have to pay yourself.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,196 ✭✭✭boardsuser1

My car was was damaged by vandals recently. Had to get all main dealer parts for the repair regardless. I had a simple choice,claim and have it hanging over me regardless of ncb protection or pay for it myself. I think you can clearly guess what i did. I advise the same for you. My damage was €1000. Parts came to €400

• Registered Users Posts: 547 ✭✭✭gerard2210

Get a repair quote and see what the damage is, you'll be forking out the excess amount anyway (250-300). While you'll keep your ncb that's no guarantee your premium won't go up anyway.

• Advertisement
Advertisement