Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Is it possible to move into higher level maths?

Options
  • 27-07-2016 6:01pm
    Registered Users Posts: 20

I always wanted to do Higher level maths but I was put into ordinary and I got a B in my junior cert. Throughout Ty I was hoping to do Higher level well at least try it but now im going into 5th year and I still want to. I am willing to work and I want to get the best results out of my leaving cert. How do I move up?

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,142 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

Depends on the school, really. Some places have a rule that if you didn't do HL ofr JC you won't be let into the HL class for LC.

Did you do any exams in TY that would show you had improved substantially from a B in OL at JC?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,246 ✭✭✭judeboy101

If the school does not have an assessment policy stating how they 'select' those who do H or Ord then no 'rule' or 'tradition' can stop u from doing it. Check their website or get ur mum/dad to email secretary in August asking for that policy. If it doesn't exist then you can't be stopped. Out of interest how did you end up in ord? Bad results? Not enough space in upper classes?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,751 ✭✭✭mirrorwall14

There is an incredible difference between a B at OL and taking HL maths for LC. Even a B candidate at HLCJC can often find LCHL difficult. Have you been working on the course? You should have gotten the JCHL book and started working your way through all the HL material. Honestly if you go into a HL class in September without trying to build up the ground work you will be lost in a very short space of time or it will take over your life and other subjects trying to keep up

Advertisement