Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

VW Passat 2.0: carbon buildup in engine

Options
  • 27-07-2016 5:32pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 107 ✭✭

Hi,

I recently had to do a big job in my car (injectors, and oil pump), and apparently the cause was carbon build up in the engine.

Just wondering, is there any preventive maintenance i can do , so it wont happen again?

Is there anything i can mix with the diesel every now and then to clean it out, so as it wont build up again??

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 24,647 ✭✭✭✭punisher5112

Diesel's need a good run and over revs at 2k or over for a good distance to clear out.

Short journey driving not suitable.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,261 ✭✭✭3rdDegree

Diesel's need a good run and over revs at 2k or over for a good distance to clear out.

My understanding is that they need to get a 20 to 30 minute run every now and again (I believe once a week or so at least) at between 2000 and 3000 revs. A run on the motorway should do it. For instance, I do a lot of city driving and unless I'm going away for the weekend, I take mine for a spin down the motorway at 120km/h for about half and hour or more every Saturday.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,089 ✭✭✭✭CiniO

Change oil regularly and use appropriate oil.

Also what you were already advised not to hesitate with gas pedal, and rev the engine high for a good while from time to time surely can only help.

After driving - especially at high revs - remember to let engine cool down for a while before turning engine off, as hot oil without circulation is known to carbonise - this can especially affect turbo.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 107 ✭✭tcow

I do 80km motorway driving every day

• Registered Users Posts: 5,077 ✭✭✭mikeecho

Would dipetane help in preventing carbon build up ?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 24,647 ✭✭✭✭punisher5112

It will happen as the exhaust gases are recirculated but will be helped by long drives to burn it out. 80k should do it good.
    Some say dipetane is OK others say doesn't do much.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,836 ✭✭✭BigCon

Curious as to where you buy your diesel?

Advertisement