Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Waterford city transport question

Options
  • 27-07-2016 5:02pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2

Hi all. Recent graduate here, just been offered an interview in the IDA industrial estate in Waterford. Saving up for a car at the moment, so I'll be getting the bus into the bus station in town. I'm wondering whats the best way to get from there to the estate? Is a taxi my best bet?

Cheers!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,687 ✭✭✭Wanderer2010

Hi ckeeny, there is a regular bus route from town to just outside the WIT college on the Cork Road and from there its only a 5 minute walk to the industrial estate. I don't know the exact timetable but if you google WIT bus routes you will find a suitable one and they pick up/drop off from several points in town as well. Good luck!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,678 ✭✭✭TrustedApple

There is two buses you can get for it the 601 or 603 both will drop you at WIT and will be easy for you to take the 5 min walk. I think there every 20 mins or so.

Still think its crazy that the bus does not stop in the middle of the business park in waterford or even near it would be a very logic mood.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,052 ✭✭✭KikiDee

Still think its crazy that the bus does not stop in the middle of the business park in waterford or even near it would be a very logic mood.

Huge +1 to this!!

Yea bussing it is easiest and cheapest option. As far as I know, there's one that goes out by Gracedieu too. You might want to look at this depending which end of the IDA your interview is at. G'luck with it btw :)

KikiDee wrote: »
    Huge +1 to this!!

Yea bussing it is easiest and cheapest option. As far as I know, there's one that goes out by Gracedieu too. You might want to look at this depending which end of the IDA your interview is at. G'luck with it btw :)

Just like the new WIT sports arena how are you post to get up to from town ?. There is no bus ha ha. Its about a 20 min walk again from WIT to get up there another Logic move there.

I know waterford isn't the biggest city and you can walk must places but the bus routes are very badly done.

I now live in cork and i am able to get around very very easy in the city as thanks to APPLE the 202 is every 10 mins.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,687 ✭✭✭Wanderer2010

There is two buses you can get for it the 601 or 603 both will drop you at WIT and will be easy for you to take the 5 min walk. I think there every 20 mins or so.

Is it because the only entrance to the estate that a bus could fit through is off on the other side by Genzyme and hence it wouldn't be logical? I think the other 2 entrances have height barriers as far as I know.

• Advertisement

Is it because the only entrance to the estate that a bus could fit through is off on the other side by Genzyme and hence it wouldn't be logical? I think the other 2 entrances have height barriers as far as I know.

But not to be a smart ass but they should fix the entrances so a bus can get in as it cant be that hard to do it ?.

Put one bus stop in the middle of the park and bobs your uncle and you be flying it with a better bus route in waterford.

• Registered Users Posts: 2 ckenny94

Legends, cheers all!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,427 ✭✭✭mooseknunkle

But not to be a smart ass but they should fix the entrances so a bus can get in as it cant be that hard to do it ?.

Put one bus stop in the middle of the park and bobs your uncle and you be flying it with a better bus route in waterford.

A bus service does run through the estate or at least it used too, theres still bus stops in there and i remember the bus route went in the main entrance on browns road and came out onto the cork road then down through ballybeg into town but maybe it has stopped now

Theres 4 entrances to the estate and only one had a height barrier which is gone now

A bus service does run through the estate or at least it used too, theres still bus stops in there and i remember the bus route went in the main entrance on browns road and came out onto the cork road then down through ballybeg into town but maybe it has stopped now

It has stopped years ago. I used to get the 603 back from town up to Wit and It never went in there sadly.

But the bus routes should be going near or in the business parks where people are working it's crazy if you have a job in Waterford your more then likely not able to get a bus to it!!!.

In cork you can get a bus or a train to all the major areas where people work why can't Waterford do the same?.

Also when the airport had flights you could not get a bus to it how hard was it to set it?. Then the fact you can't get a bus to the train station from town another logic move there.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,874 ✭✭✭BBM77

It has stopped years ago. I used to get the 603 back from town up to Wit and It never went in there sadly.

But the bus routes should be going near or in the business parks where people are working it's crazy if you have a job in Waterford your more then likely not able to get a bus to it!!!.

In cork you can get a bus or a train to all the major areas where people work why can't Waterford do the same?.

Also when the airport had flights you could not get a bus to it how hard was it to set it?. Then the fact you can't get a bus to the train station from town another logic move there.

Absolutely. Having no direct bus route from the Dunmore Rd to the Cork Rd/WIT/Industrial Estate area, the biggest residential area to the biggest employment area of the city makes no sense. And then the council comes along and creates bottle necks around the place, making it harder to drive, based on some strange logic that it is to “encourage” the use of public transport. What flip’n public transport. Most people drive to work in Waterford because there is no alternative. AHHHHHH!! What way do these people think?

BBM77 wrote: »
    Absolutely. Having no direct bus route from the Dunmore Rd to the Cork Rd/WIT/Industrial Estate area, the biggest residential area to the biggest employment area of the city makes no sense. And then the council comes along and creates bottle necks around the place, making it harder to drive, based on some strange logic that it is to “encourage” the use of public transport. What flip’n public transport. Most people drive to work in Waterford because there is no alternative. AHHHHHH!! What way do these people think?

The biggest employment area maybe but also nearly every factory works shifts so not practical for buses to try set times when one place starts at 6am and another starts at 8am or another place finishes at 7am and another finishes at 6am,plus everyone who works in there probably has a car or bike and the last thing i would want to do would be to sit on a bus home after a 8 or 12 hour shift.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,343 ✭✭✭beazee

I've heard there are plans on running the bus through the IDA estate.
    Not sure though when is that supposed to happen.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,874 ✭✭✭BBM77

The biggest employment area maybe but also nearly every factory works shifts so not practical for buses to try set times when one place starts at 6am and another starts at 8am or another place finishes at 7am and another finishes at 6am,plus everyone who works in there probably has a car or bike and the last thing i would want to do would be to sit on a bus home after a 8 or 12 hour shift.

All I am saying is that the council is supposed to be getting people out of their cars, which is their stated aim and I don’t have a problem with that. But making roads narrower and removing lanes is not going to achieve it. Fair enough they realistically can’t cater for all shift patterns. But reliable services to the areas people need to go at the times they need to get there is what will achieve it. We are in a situation in Waterford where the council is reducing the capacity of the city to handle traffic but at the same time offering no alternative in the majority of cases to the private car. It just does not add up. For example in Dublin they are going to pedestrianise College Green but this is being done in the light of a growing Luas network. If anything public transport has been reduced in Waterford in recent years.

I am sure there are plenty of families in the city that have two cars that would love to save money and reduce to one car but can’t because they have no other choice when driving to work/school.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,510 ✭✭✭Max Powers

All I am saying is that the council is supposed to be getting people out of their cars, which is their stated aim and I don’t have a problem with that. But making roads narrower and removing lanes is not going to achieve it. Reliable services to the areas people need to go at the times they need to get there is what will achieve it. We are in a situation in Waterford where the council is reducing the capacity of the city to handle traffic but at the same time offering no alternative in the majority of cases to the private car. It just does not add up. For example in Dublin they are going to pedestrianise College Green but this is being done in the light of a growing Luas network. If anything public transport has been reduced in Waterford in recent years.

I am sure there are plenty of families in the city that have two cars that would love to save money and reduce to one car but can’t because they have no other choice when driving to work/school.

The council are offering alternatives to cars by improving bike and walking infrastructure as well as more bus lanes.

All I am saying is that the council is supposed to be getting people out of their cars, which is their stated aim and I don’t have a problem with that. But making roads narrower and removing lanes is not going to achieve it. Fair enough they realistically can’t cater for all shift patterns. But reliable services to the areas people need to go at the times they need to get there is what will achieve it. We are in a situation in Waterford where the council is reducing the capacity of the city to handle traffic but at the same time offering no alternative in the majority of cases to the private car. It just does not add up. For example in Dublin they are going to pedestrianise College Green but this is being done in the light of a growing Luas network. If anything public transport has been reduced in Waterford in recent years.

I agree with you but i was just saying that a bus service through the estate would really only be of any use to office staff who work 9-5 and compared to shift workers thats a very small amount who work there

Yes there should be way better routes. Like I am comparing it to cork as I am able to get to work with a 5 min walk to the bus. For the business Park they have buses that run just for it in the morning and the evening when people are coming and going to the offices. It is all ways on time as well.

But every other business Park in cork you can get a bus or a train to near it or in the middle of it and they run the times around people who work in the places.

It just makes no sense that Waterford city can't set up things like that?. The Dunmore road bus is shocking to get into a city center sometimes its there and others your waiting a hour. Considering must of Waterford live there it should be every 20 mins to 10pm at night from 6am in the morning.

I do know these services cost money to run but invest in them and they pay for them selfs as people will use them if things are set up proper.

As with say a tax saver leap card for Waterford if you say get a bus from the Dunmore road to the IDA it would cost like 50 euros a month way way cheaper then using a car.

I know I am ranting about the buses in Waterford a lot but they need to sit down and re do the routes again and put more stops in for people so they will use them.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,934 ✭✭✭✭Wanderer78

I suspect our lack of public transport is mainly due to lack of support and private companies don't wanna take the risk. Many empty or near empty buses floating around the town for long time now, use to use the buses a lot until I got a car. Sure the government has wanted to privatise the city service for a long time now. Can't see our service ever improving

• Registered Users Posts: 1,343 ✭✭✭beazee

Looks like the IDA is in talks with National Transport Authority.

The proposal is to extend 604 route so it enters the IDA Park from the north, goes all the way down to the IDA offices, turns around and exits by the north gate.

Advertisement