Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dislocated finger

Options
  • 27-07-2016 4:58pm
    Registered Users Posts: 152 ✭✭

I dislocated my baby finger in my weak hand at training. The bone was sticking out through the skin. They straightened it and stitched it up. It still feels a bit sore but not too bad (still in the splint). I can swing the hurley but not properly (I haven't done much since). I can pick up the sliotar but if someone struck it to me I don't think I could catch it.

My problem is that we have championship next Sunday and we haven't got much on the bench. The doctor outlined what could happen if I damaged it again too soon. I have no problem with getting injured again however I want to hear from people that have actually played a match. Is it possible? Has anyone had an injury like this before and played through it/last long?

Thanks in advance

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,704 ✭✭✭irelandrover

I dislocated my finger and played 2 weeks later. It was still swollen 5 weeks after. Turns out I broke it and had 9 months of physio in order to get any strength back.

2 years later it is still swollen and sore, and I can't wear my wedding ring.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,526 ✭✭✭Limestone Cowboy

I dislocated mine playing football about 3 months ago and it's still swollen and still in a splint because the tendon got damaged aswell. I have played 7 or 8 games since and trained every week without any bother really, just tape it up well to the finger beside it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,731 ✭✭✭dirtyden

Have you had it xrayed, if it was merely dislocated you might be ok by taping it up. If you have also torn tendons (which is common enough with impact injuries) you need it splinted properly or it wont heal. You really need to get the advice of a doctor, preferably an orthopaedist. No-one here can advise you properly as we have neither seen your injury and probably could not diagnose properly.

A finger injury might seem just an irritant but it is easy enough do irreparable damage if you don't diagnose properly.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,593 ✭✭✭DoctaDee

malascoile wrote: »
    I dislocated my baby finger in my weak hand at training. ............ The doctor outlined what could happen if I damaged it again too soon. I have no problem with getting injured again however I want to hear from people that have actually played a match. Is it possible? Has anyone had an injury like this before and played through it/last long?

Thanks in advance
    dirtyden wrote: »
    Have you had it xrayed, if it was merely dislocated you might be ok by taping it up. .... You really need to get the advice of a doctor, preferably an orthopaedist. No-one here can advise you properly as we have neither seen your injury and probably could not diagnose properly.

MOD

Guys, just a gentle reminder not to offer medical advice - the OP's question relates to playing with an injury and as dirtyden says most of us are not qualified to offer remedial advice on the injury itself. Ta

Advertisement