Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Would Star Trek have died if TNG had failed???

Options
  • 27-07-2016 3:39pm
    Registered Users Posts: 8,641 ✭✭✭

More of a discussion point really.

For me I think TNG revitalised the franchise. The TOS movies were still giong int he 80's but by 87 things were winding down for the original crew. TNG brought in a whole new generation of fans. I liked Star Trek but I'm not sure if I'd ever have really gotten into it on the level I have had I not really clicked with TNG and that, in turn, got me into appreciating the Kirk era films much more.

TNG spawned DS9 and that also led to Voyager. It also spawned the TNG movies. I've no doubt that ST VI would have happened anyway but TNG's influence freshened up the concept for that film and I think the work people were doing on that show helped give the movie a very fresh feel too.

I was talking with a friend before Beyond yesterday and we both remarked how dodgy in general Season 1 of TNG was. Season 2 was even worse due to the writers strike. In today's world I think it's very possible that TNG would have not made the cut and possibly been cancelled. It's name might have saved it but I couldn't see them getting through two seasons of mediocrity with a renewal for a third season. Now of course some of that dodgyness is down to Roddenberry of course and things did improve with his passing.

I have a feeling we could have lost out on a lot if TNG ended up being a bust!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,488 ✭✭✭Goodshape

Always makes me wonder how TNG made it past those first two seasons, although perhaps at the time the audience knew no better. The improvement in quality from season 3 is remarkable.

It feels like everything that has come since then has owed the biggest debt to TNG. TOS was of course the beginning (and I love it; a close second after TNG for me), but TNG cemented the 'timeline' and the universe that everything since then has been a part of.

Such is my perception of it anyway.

If TNG had failed I'm sure by now we'd have another reboot or some other spin off, but I wonder if we'd all be as interested.

Battlestar Galactica comes to mind.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,888 ✭✭✭AtomicHorror

squonk wrote: »
    Now of course some of that dodgyness is down to Roddenberry of course and things did improve with his passing.

I've generally held to that assumption too, and though Chaos On The Bridge reinforced my view of that somewhat, there were other elements there. A lot of changes happened between the end of season 2 and season 3 that confound the simple story about Roddenberry.

Something that really sticks with me was his intervention in the episode Deja Q. Originally, the whole plot was to have been a ruse by Q, but Roddenberry suggested that genuinely stripping Q of his powers and forcing him to face humanity, morality and mortality would make for a better story. He was not wrong.

Advertisement