Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Budget player options 2016/2017

Options
  • 27-07-2016 3:19pm
    Registered Users Posts: 15,263 ✭✭✭✭

gk's and def's: £4.0-4.5M
    mid's and fwd's: £4.5-5.0M

They play an important part in all our setups. You'll rarely see a squad without a few "cheapies". You'll see more than a few in mine :pac::pac::pac:

Here's just a place to obsess about our options, especially useful ahead of gw1

I'll start things off

Goalkeepers: Mandanda(£4.5M) for Crystal Palace. Anyone with even a passing interest in French football should know this guy. A stalwart for Marseille for 9 seasons running (twice winning their player of the season, most recently for the season just gone), and number 2 to Lloris in the French national team, he's an excellent shot stopper and will be a decent candidate for bonus points i think. Palace were pretty poor defensively last season, but Mandanda should help i think, as well as Tomkins who provides extra competition in centre defense

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 21,119 ✭✭✭✭PARlance

Any thoughts on a 5th non playing midfielder? I can't see past Fletcher at 4.5m at the moment.
    Nobody really jumping out at the 5m mark at present.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,263 ✭✭✭✭manual_man

PARlance wrote: »
    Any thoughts on a 5th non playing midfielder? I can't see past Fletcher at 4.5m at the moment.

Joe Ledley(£4.5M) could be an option. Has a goal in him

• Registered Users Posts: 8,747 ✭✭✭Ziegler1988

Fletcher will almost certainly price drop as the most highly owned 4.5m mid, the casuals will put him in since he has most points from last season in that bracket

• Registered Users Posts: 11,271 ✭✭✭✭FHFC

There are loads of decent gks and defs at 4.5. Makes rotation a very attractive plan.

Now if anyone can unearth a 4.0 that would be nice.

Brad Smith has to be a hot lead at least.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,263 ✭✭✭✭manual_man

Fletcher will almost certainly price drop as the most highly owned 4.5m mid, the casuals will put him in since he has most points from last season in that bracket

As regards price drops is it simply a certain % of owners have to sell? Or is there a minimum number of actual transfers out required? I'm looking at a £4.5M forward myself i'll probably go with the lowest ownership one if that means less chance of dropping in price

• Advertisement

manual_man wrote: »
    As regards price drops is it simply a certain % of owners have to sell? Or is there a minimum number of actual transfers out required? I'm looking at a £4.5M forward myself i'll probably go with the lowest ownership one if that means less chance of dropping in price

It's % of owners, but there will be a lot more casuals happy to spend a FT or -4 to get rid of Fletcher for whatever cheapie mid scores in GW1 than Capoue for example. Less than 1% ownership can be risky since if 100 people or so use a transfer, he'll drop

• Registered Users Posts: 14,810 ✭✭✭✭jimmii

Its not 100% known and FPL have made it harder for price change sites to gauge the last few years. Net transfers seems to be the key and it appears to have been around 10% of owners need to sell to create a drop. A low ownership player can drop with very few transfers so it can back fire on you too! The formula for <1% ownership players is meant to be different and is even less known than the normal price change formulas. Price increases works differently weirdly. FPL will no doubt go play around with it again this year too dam them!

Would have Fletcher myself but may take a chance initially on Jonathan Leko. He got a few chances late last year and did very well. Would be very unusual for Pulis to trust somebody so young but if he is playing in the 'first 11' in preseason games I may take a chance.

I'm current running with Brad Smith and Leko as bench fodder.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,711 ✭✭✭keano_afc

Southampton spunked quite a lot on Pierre-Emile Hojbjerg so I'm assuming he's going to be a regular. Only £4.5m

• Registered Users Posts: 6,262 ✭✭✭iroced

Goalkeepers: Mandanda(£4.5M) for Crystal Palace. Anyone with even a passing interest in French football should know this guy. A stalwart for Marseille for 9 seasons running (twice winning their player of the season, most recently for the season just gone), and number 2 to Lloris in the French national team, he's an excellent shot stopper and will be a decent candidate for bonus points i think. Palace were pretty poor defensively last season, but Mandanda should help i think, as well as Tomkins who provides extra competition in centre defense

At this price, Mandanda is a great option. Don't know what his situation is at Palace, like if he's gonna be number 1 right off or if it'll take him a few weeks/months like Lloris at Spurs (like every season, am slowly awakening back to FPL :p) but he's a great keeper. He's been unlucky that Lloris performed earlier than him, otherwise he'd have been France keeper for all that time. And dare I say, and I mean no offence to Palace fans, that it's a bit disappointing not to see him in a higher standard club. I heard there were talks with 'Pool at some point, don't know how serious that was but he/it'd have been great there. IMO, he's a much better keeper than Mignolet.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,830 ✭✭✭shineon23

keano_afc wrote: »
    Southampton spunked quite a lot on Pierre-Emile Hojbjerg so I'm assuming he's going to be a regular. Only £4.5m

They also paid a lot for;
    Gaston Ramierez
    Osvaldo
    Shane Long (Was a squad player for a long time after he signed)

Who were all used sparingly,

Hojbjerg is definitely one to keep an eye on, he's not been getting 90 minutes in preseason but very few players are so that's not much to go on.

Southampton have a lot of competition in MF, and with increase fixtures in the Europa League it'll be interesting to see what rotation will be done.

Redmond is playing well in preseason and is probably the sensible (mid range Saints MF option )
    but Jay Rod is tempting me a serious amount as a OOP striker classed as a MF.

He has been used a lone striker in a game last week. But will likely drop back with Long/Austin up front this season.

As always Cedric will be the first name on my team sheet but I might get sense and have a GK Double of Forester and Jakopovic.
    With Forster as Southampton defence cover

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 541 ✭✭✭JakeArmitage

Brad Smith has had a Hernia Operation

• Registered Users Posts: 16,305 ✭✭✭✭Mr.Prodston

Lewis Cook @4.5 for Bournemouth in midfield?

Scored in their latest friendly and signed for a fee of relative significance.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,121 ✭✭✭Cypher_sounds

Anyone know the chances of Ben Watson starting for Watford?
    Looking from the outside he might have less success starting with the signing of Success perhaps?
    Scored a goal and 4 assists last season ;4.5 must be considered.

Anyone know the chances of Ben Watson starting for Watford?
    Looking from the outside he might have less success starting with the signing of Success perhaps?
    Scored a goal and 4 assists last season ;4.5 must be considered.

Go for Capoue, Watson was on bench today behind Doucare and Suarez

• Registered Users Posts: 8,121 ✭✭✭Cypher_sounds

Go for Capoue, Watson was on bench today behind Doucare and Suarez

Yeah he is probably more sure of his starting spot.

I know he is a defensive type midfielder so not too pushed on him. Would be inclined to take a chance on a cheapie regarding his starting chances if I knew he was an attacking midfielder.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,672 ✭✭✭ElTel

Yeah he is probably more sure of his starting spot.

I know he is a defensive type midfielder so not too pushed on him. Would be inclined to take a chance on a cheapie regarding his starting chances if I knew he was an attacking midfielder.

Leko who has been mentioned before could suit. Diomande as a 4.5M striker could be an alternative.

Advertisement