Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Trying to find Great Great Grandmother

Options
  • 27-07-2016 12:01pm
    Registered Users Posts: 238 ✭✭

Hi, I've been trying to trace my great great grandmother on the Catholic Parish Records. Her married name was Annie Butler (nee Culligan) and I know in the 1901 census she was 36 and wrote on census she was born in Co Claire. I'm stuck at that. I vaguely remember a relative saying years ago she was from Ballina near Killaloe. it's on Clare / Tipp border.

I've searched all the baptism records for parishes around these areas but couldn't find anything. I could have missed record too as writing is sometimes hard to read. AFAIK she was born in around 1863.

Her father's name was John and he is a farmer. I got this from her her marriage record, she was married in a different county (Kilkenny) and gave her address as the town she was living in (Ballyragget). Any ideas?

Comments

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 6,622 Mod ✭✭✭✭pinkypinky

Does her surnames spelling match on the census and the marriage cert?

John Grenham lists the Culligan variants here.

Which site are you searching the RC records on?

Genealogy Forum Mod

• Registered Users Posts: 238 ✭✭carolinej

Hi pinky, I'm using http://registers.nli.ie/
    I have no census record to refer to to check spelling.
    The spelling I have is from her marriage record in 1889. Oh and additional info I have is her sponsor from marriage cert is Mary Culligan, possibly a sister

I'll check FMP database: hang on.

Genealogy Forum Mod

Could this be her?

First name(s) Anne
    Last name Culligan
    Baptism date 05 Aug 1858
    Parish St. Senan's
    Alternative parish names Kilrush
    Diocese Killaloe
    County Clare
    Father's first name(s) John
    Father's last name Culligan
    Mother's first name(s) Anne
    Mother's last name Glynn
    National Library of Ireland link http://registers.nli.ie//registers/vtls000634783#page/1/mode/1up

Genealogy Forum Mod

• Registered Users Posts: 238 ✭✭carolinej

Could be. I didn't think they were from that part of Clare. They could have moved though!!!!!!

I'll have a trawl through the baptism register to see can I find a Mary with same parents. My relative might have been referring to relations living in Ballina near Killaloe town who are connected to the Culligans. not neccesarily she was from there.

• Advertisement
Advertisement