Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Windscreen for BMW 5 series

Options
  • 27-07-2016 11:40am
    Registered Users Posts: 68 ✭✭

Hi, anything I should know before I contact someone to replace windscreen ? Are the service providers all the same ? Are windscreen standard or should I insist on any particular type etc ? I was quoted circa 250 by auto glass while BMW quoted 550 !! Many thanks for any advice.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,969 ✭✭✭Theboinkmaster

Hi, anything I should know before I contact someone to replace windscreen ? Are the service providers all the same ? Are windscreen standard or should I insist on any particular type etc ? I was quoted circa 250 by auto glass while BMW quoted 550 !! Many thanks for any advice.

Is it an f10? Make sure it's the same OEM glass i.e. Pilkington I think it's called.

Normally your insurance would cover.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 38,526 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gumbo

Make sure you give them your chassis number and that you want an OEM one. Tell them you'll pay the difference as when I got mint done, they wanted to use a generic screen, but it had no fittings for my green band, lane departure warning camera etc

• Registered Users Posts: 12,675 ✭✭✭✭R.O.R

We generally get asked if there are light and rain sensors on the car, and the answer to that will get the correct screen.

kceire wrote: »
    Make sure you give them your chassis number and that you want an OEM one. Tell them you'll pay the difference as when I got mint done, they wanted to use a generic screen, but it had no fittings for my green band, lane departure warning camera etc

Did you get the camera systems calibrated after the new windscreen? That needs to be done, and as far as I'm aware, that's currently only main dealer but they are working on aftermarket solutions, but they will still mean the car going to the Windscreen company location as it can't be done where the car is.

• Registered Users Posts: 68 ✭✭scrummonkey

many thanks for replies. Its a F11. I was never asked about sensors etc so I presume I was quoted for bog standard, non OEM windscreen ? As far as I know the car has auto wipers/lights. What else would windscreen replacement effect ? If I just give the chassis number will the windscreen be matched exactly ? Thanks.

Advertisement