Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Brittany Ferries : Pound verus Euro

Options
  • 27-07-2016 11:29am
    Registered Users Posts: 198 ✭✭

Hi there,

a heads up to anyone travelling to and from Roscoff with Brittany Ferries in the coming weeks.

When paying for dinner the bill has prices in Sterling and Euro. We chose to pay the sterling price via our credit card.

Why ? The exchange rate quoted on the bill is 1 to .70. However the exchange rate is now over 1 to .80 ( and climbing ).

25 euro saved.

All bills on the ship are the same - bar, duty free shop and so on.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 988 ✭✭✭Benbecul97

Thanks! I would imagine it won't be long though until the exchange rate quoted on the bill is in sync!

Prices are in Sterling it's a one way street. (You can pay with € but you are paying the sterling price)

I wonder is it the same on Irish Ferries?

Yurp I think so.
    Bittova nuisance for me on Irish Ferries; they charge you the currency of the country you make to booking from. Which for me is usually the UK and I rather pay in € so I'm hit for the exchange rate.

If you have a bank account in both countries Transferwise will beat the bank every time.

• Registered Users Posts: 198 ✭✭T650

Prices are in Sterling it's a one way street. (You can pay with € but you are paying the sterling price)

The bill shows BF rate and their calculation into euro. By choosing the sterling value into the machine we got the actual rate.

• Advertisement

T650 wrote: »
    Prices are in Sterling it's a one way street. (You can pay with but you are paying the sterling price)

The bill shows BF rate and their calculation into euro. By choosing the sterling value into the machine we got the actual rate.
    You've confused me now!

Based on your earlier examples, is BF rate = 1 to .70 and Sterling actual rate = 1 to .80 ( and climbing ).

I confused myself ;)... deleted the post but then undeleted it because you had replied in the meantime. RE: "Irish" ferries :D

The prices on the ship are Sterling from British goods and trade on IF
    T650 wrote: »

Thanks T650 I realised that and that's what inspired the post deletion mess..apologies for the confusion...

All prices shown on board are in Sterling. All cash tills accept either Sterling or Euro.

Caveat being pay in Sterling or pay Euros + "exchange rate".
    €1 = £0.837 atm.

No, not you Liam!
    T650 confused me with his post #6:D

facepalm.gif

:pac:
    I'm offto count my photons. I'm staying outov it from here. :o

• Registered Users Posts: 198 ✭✭T650

Benbecul97 wrote: »
    No, not you Liam!
    T650 confused me with his post #6:D

Feckit sorry lads :(

So the bill stated £105 or €150. The receipt stated that the rate they used was €1 gets 70p. However the real rate was 83.8p

We asked to pay the sterling price wth our credit card so got the real rate. So paid €125 euro instead when the active change rate was charged to our card.

I'm getting a headache myself now :)

• Advertisement

Got it!:D

Fair play, ye were dining in style!:)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 384 ✭✭SeamusG97

We're misers - just bring a picnic and buy a bottle of wine for €8 as a token on Stena. Almost always give in to temptation and go for the full breakfast next morning though.

SeamusG97 wrote: »
    We're misers - just bring a picnic and buy a bottle of wine for 8 as a token on Stena. Almost always give in to temptation and go for the full breakfast next morning though.

Go the full hog next time and bring your own bottle of wine too!:D
    Don't blame you for bringing some food onboard - it can add up with many mouths to feed!

Yes we have a few mouths to feed and nobody seems to mind - either the crew or the other picnickers - it's a common thing. The Irish breakfast thing the following morning usually writes off any savings - or indeed the carefully chosen healthy food from the night before:D

You'll be caught for at least one meal on a France crossing and it's better off being breakfast, plenty to choose from that won't break the bank!ðŸ‘ðŸ»

We'll have another go at it in three weeks time (with French wine):D

SeamusG97 wrote: »
    We'll have another go at it in three weeks time (with French wine):D

Nice wan! Where ye heading for? Germany again? Enjoy the trip!ðŸš

Three weeks gone on Saturday. Three weeks to go. In Sisteron in Haute Provence at the moment en route to Italy.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,699 ✭✭✭StupidLikeAFox

Benbecul97 wrote: »
    Go the full hog next time and bring your own bottle of wine too!:D
    Don't blame you for bringing some food onboard - it can add up with many mouths to feed!

Yes indeedy. We went Irish Ferries to France in June and brought on our own cans of beer. Happily drank them in the main bar watching the entertainment for the night and the staff didn't care a bit.

If you brought on a couple of Heineken bottles (or something else they actually sell there) you would fit in no bother too.

Advertisement