Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Hardware Upgrade (Dell inspiron 7559)

Options
  • 27-07-2016 11:25am
    Registered Users Posts: 52 ✭✭

I recently bought this laptop from dell and I'm planning to upgrade the storage to an M2 SSD and replace the RAM.

I'm not entirely sure what is compatible with its motherboard. I know it only accepts DDR3 RAM and an M2 connector for the SSD (ignoring the HDD)

What speeds of RAM? 1600Mhz 1866Mhz and up?

What type M2 slot? SATA 3, PCIe?

Comments

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 23,157 Mod ✭✭✭✭Alanstrainor

Well on the dell site it says the following about the RAM:
    8GB Single Channel DDR3L 1600MHz (8GBx1)

So you're best bet is to get another 1600mhz 8GB stick to get to 16GB.

I just found this link which is very comprehensive about these upgrades. It seems like a machine designed to be highly upgradeable. Seems like a great buy tbh...

http://www.windowscentral.com/how-add-ssd-ram-upgrade-dell-inspiron-15-7559

M2 SSD, 1TB of disk, 960M graphics, 16GB of RAM, 1080p sceeen, all for under a grand? Yes please.

• Registered Users Posts: 52 ✭✭Bangadrum

I just found this link which is very comprehensive about these upgrades. It seems like a machine designed to be highly upgradeable. Seems like a great buy tbh...

http://www.windowscentral.com/how-add-ssd-ram-upgrade-dell-inspiron-15-7559

M2 SSD, 1TB of disk, 960M graphics, 16GB of RAM, 1080p sceeen, all for under a grand? Yes please.

Don't forget about the 23% tax ;)

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 23,157 Mod ✭✭✭✭Alanstrainor

Bangadrum wrote: »
    Don't forget about the 23% tax ;)

Huh? Just buy on Amazon or similar.

Edit: I see that was a link to the business site. So lets call it 1100. Still a reasonable deal.

Edit: I see that was a link to the business site. So lets call it 1100. Still a reasonable deal.

I'm really impressed with it actually, the trackpad is a tad annoying but the keyboard is good. One thing, it's heavier than I thought it'd be but that just means it'll build muscles haha.

Overall impressed, it'll take abit getting used to (coming from a mac laptop)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,930 ✭✭✭✭TerrorFirmer

SSD will make a huge different but going from 8 to 16GB of ram will make no difference to games, assuming that's what you're doing with it. If you're using photoshop, video editing or similar frequently enough it would benefit.

• Advertisement

SSD will make a huge different but going from 8 to 16GB of ram will make no difference to games, assuming that's what you're doing with it. If you're using photoshop, video editing or similar frequently enough it would benefit.

Already ordered an SSD and 16gb RAM kit. I'll be using it for mainly animation, programming and some gaming if I've got free time.

Advertisement