Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Trying to play Retro Dungeon Keeper 2!

Options
  • 27-07-2016 8:56am
    Registered Users Posts: 3,056 ✭✭✭

Hi All,

I dusted off an old 1999 PC game of mine - Dungeon Keeper 2.

Game loaded on my windows 7 (64) PC fine, but refused to launch.

Anyone successfully load old games like this on new PCs?

Thanks!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,179 ✭✭✭salamanca22

Gog are a company who make old games work on newer system and then sell them.

Here is a link to dungeon keeper two. I have it myself and it works fine on windows 10.

https://www.gog.com/game/dungeon_keeper_2

• Registered Users Posts: 3,056 ✭✭✭sticker

Gog are a company who make old games work on newer system and then sell them.

Here is a link to dungeon keeper two. I have it myself and it works fine on windows 10.

https://www.gog.com/game/dungeon_keeper_2

Cheers! - Great idea!

• Registered Users Posts: 12,384 ✭✭✭✭Skerries

did you try and launch it using compatibility mode?

Skerries wrote: »
    did you try and launch it using compatibility mode?

No. How do I do that?

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Help & Feedback Category Moderators Posts: 25,186 CMod ✭✭✭✭Spear

sticker wrote: »
    No. How do I do that?

Right click the executable, and choose properties. There'll be a compatibility options tab/panel in there.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,353 ✭✭✭Dave_The_Sheep

If you don't get it working, there's always War for the Overworld to fall back on. Spiritual sequel/remake of DK2. Not the longest game in the world, but if it's on sale well worth a punt.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,028 ✭✭✭d31b0y

Vista/win7: Turn on Windows 2000 compatibility, Turn off Visual Design support (in settings dk2.exe). Make sure no other background program is running as no process (probably d/l program - this will cause flickering Screen). Add "...\Dungeon Keeper II\dkII.exe" -softwarefilter -32bitdisplay to DK2.exe starting options.

If Black Squares instead of Textures are upcoming: Start Game. Go to settings ingame, go to graphics, disable Hardware support. start a mission. Now it must work. Leave Game per official exit.

if you are using a dual core, Start Game, press strg+alt+del, go to Taskmanager and disable cores until only one core is left for following processes: DKII.exe DKII.icd (this is for providing uncontrolled mouse moves ingame) Switch back to DK2 per TAB.

"HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Bullfrog Productions Ltd\Dungeon Keeper II\Configuration\Video" settings:

Screen Depth = 32
    HighWalls = 0
    if Game wont start without 3D Hardware enabled:
    Screen Hardware3D = 4 (probably 5 if hanging up)
    Obligatory not quoted text goes here.

EDIT: actually the source of this has lot's of suggestions;
    http://forums.steampowered.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1721101

If you don't get it working, there's always War for the Overworld to fall back on. Spiritual sequel/remake of DK2. Not the longest game in the world, but if it's on sale well worth a punt.

Looks sweet! - Will give that a go!

Spear wrote: »
    Right click the executable, and choose properties. There'll be a compatibility options tab/panel in there.

Thanks!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,582 ✭✭✭Mal-Adjusted

When I got my new Win & laptop, i dusted off my old disc and tried to install it but nothing i did could work (admittedly, i'm not too tech savvy) so got the GOG version instead & it runs great. Those lads are seriously passionate about their old games. Got DK1 and WftO as well, great spiritual sequel

• Advertisement
Advertisement