Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Toyota Corolla or Opel Astra?

Options
  • 26-07-2016 11:29pm
    Registered Users Posts: 152 ✭✭

lads, trying to decide between: toyota corolla or opel astra both 2005 1.4 hatchback petrol? similar price, and mileage...

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 81,404 ✭✭✭✭Atlantic Dawn
    M

The Corolla all day long for raliability, the Astra from that era has head gasket issues.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,221 ✭✭✭pablo128

The Corolla all day long for raliability, the Astra from that era has head gasket issues.

The Astra of that era gives electrical issues too. Corolla all day long.

• Registered Users Posts: 853 ✭✭✭edburg

Take them both out for drive see what suits you best is my advice.

Will say from my experience the 1.4 are thirsty buggers on motorway runs, if you do much that is.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,897 ✭✭✭selectamatic

Along with reliability the Corolla will depreciate far less than the Astra too.
    The 1.4's are grand on motorway runs if you keep around the 120-130kph mark any faster and they tend to be over the vvti activation point in the rpm's.

• Registered Users Posts: 152 ✭✭cudsy1

thanks for the opinions, i have to decide in the next 24 hours so keep em coming!

• Advertisement

Have you phoned insurance up for prices on policies, maybe a deciding factor.

• Registered Users Posts: 152 ✭✭cudsy1

yeah, got multiple good quotes on both cars, so insurance not an issue. i was lucky enough to be able to drive both models....tbh the astra felt better to me, more solid on the road, and spacious inside and out....the corolla felt a bit cramped and brittle...so in that sense maybe i should go with the astra....but a mechanic friend and most forum posts say corolla corolla corolla, due to reliability and also 'its a better car', very definitively....its a tough one!

As with any second hand car I think it mainly down what's been best looked after, majority of new cars serviced regularly etc it unlikely to let you down.

But I agree astra feels better to drive and wiser choice mainly as I got one hahaha (opc not 1.4)

Advertisement