Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

'Mountan' tent

Options
  • 26-07-2016 9:35pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,303 ✭✭✭

Looking for some advice for an area I'm really not great on.

Any tents I have ever owned have been mainly designed for use on campsites, sheltered areas, or for general Irish weather.

A few of us, up to three, are planning on doing more camping at slightly higher altitudes, Probably 2500-2750m max. While in most of Ireland we'd be able to get down to more sheltered areas, we will also be planning on some camping while on multiple day hikes in Europe where we will more than likely be in more exposed sites.

Really I'm looking for any suggestions or advice. Cost will be split between us and we know we will end up spending more than €400 barring a miracle.

'Expedition tents' seem to be the new term for any tent that isn't for a campsite, but do people think a standard lighter tent would generally do the job?

Any advice/thoughts appreciated.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,764 ✭✭✭my3cents

Weight might be a problem but you can't beat these the old vango force tens now sold/marketed by BoG http://www.blacksofgreenock.co.uk/27-force-ten-classics in poor conditions.

The Mk3 is the std in the range but only a 2 man tent. The Mk4 is nearly 8.5kg and heavier if the outer is wet but it will stay up just about anywhere you can get a couple of pegs in the ground. They all pitch flysheet first which as I'm sure you know is handy when its raining.

The CN cotton/nylon range are lighter due to the nylon outer but the heavier cotton outers are toughier and longer lasting. One good thing is that you can by replacement parts including the outer flysheets.

For three people the Mk4 CN would be one I'd recommend you look at http://www.blacksofgreenock.co.uk/force-ten-classics/174-classic-cn-mk4-tent-5023518047188.html#.V5fbRGgrJ0s a good combination of strength/weight.

Edit> If you can find somewhere that stocks any of these then you should be able to get a good look at one as its quite possible to pitch one indoors on a shop floor if there is room, I've done it myself many times.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,779 ✭✭✭Carawaystick

The force 10's are good tents, had a loan of a mk5 and own a mk2

Stand up to a lot of wind/rain. Camped in the depths of winter in lashing rain in the Wicklow mountains no bother.

Vango also make a nemesis 300

and if you want bombproof Vaude tents -- have spent a few nights in these up high, once in a blizard in the Vallee Blanche at 3000m in the Alps below Mont Blanc.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,303 ✭✭✭CardinalJ

Thanks for both replies.

I'll have a look at all your recommendations.

Any other suggestions appreciated.

Cheers

J

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 15,692 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tabnabs

Does it have to be a three man tent?

Two men in a three man tent is luxury :) but not only do you have the extra weight to carry between just two it can also be slightly more difficult to find a good pitch for the extra area of a three man tent when you are camping in less than ideal conditions. Three men in a two man tent (I've done it a few times) is a pain.

You ideally want a tent the can be pitched flysheet first and one that only needs a minimum of pegs. Then its up to you where you make the compromises to keep the weight down. Cotton inners are heavier but breath better. Heavier groundsheets are more durable, waterproof and last longer. Cotton flysheets are heavier, even heavier when wet but are more waterproof (long term) last longer and don't loose their shape in constant gales in the way lighter weight nylon can. All synthetic stores better, cotton can rot if stored slightly damp.

One tent I'd take a look at if I had the money would be the Force Ten XPD 3

• Advertisement

Doesn't have to be a three man tent, but I'm 192cm (just under 6'4 in old money) and while I'm happy to rough it a bit, sticking to the side of a tent is never fun.

When I'm home from work I'll have a good look through all your suggestions properly.

Thanks again.

CardinalJ wrote: »
    Doesn't have to be a three man tent, but I'm 192cm (just under 6'4 in old money) and while I'm happy to rough it a bit, sticking to the side of a tent is never fun.

When I'm home from work I'll have a good look through all your suggestions properly.

Thanks again.

In that case the extra weight is probably well worth it. Also nice to have room for all your gear inside the tent and not to have to be pushing every thing you don't need outside.

I'm 6-3 btw and always found the force tens long enough inside.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,544 ✭✭✭EndaHonesty

Thanks again.

I'm 6'4" and have a Vaude Hogan Ultralight 2P for backpack camping.

I find it excellent, it has plenty room for tall people and gear.
    I also got the extra footprint ground sheet which protects the standard groundsheet and provides a handy floor for the porch.

The tent has a lot of nice features and you can tell it's a quality product.
    It's easy to put up, very sturdy when erected and only needs the guide ropes pegged in really bad wind.

It's an inner up first tent so that might put some off.

I highly recommend it.

Have you ever used it with any decent snow build up on it? I know I won't need it for this 95% of the time but I want to factor it in. Cheers.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,544 ✭✭✭EndaHonesty

Have you ever used it with any decent snow build up on it? I know I won't need it for this 95% of the time but I want to factor it in. Cheers.

It's a 3 season tent so not suitable for heavy snow.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,779 ✭✭✭Carawaystick

It was a previous version of the hogan I stayed in in the blizzard in the Vallee Blanche. about 18" of snow, no real issues, just pushing it away from the windy side though the night.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 3,913 Mod ✭✭✭✭Planet X

Have and been using a Vaude Hogan Ultralight 2p for the last few years now.
    Good stuff.
    Have the dedicated footprint also which I think is essential really.

Thanks for the suggestions. Have you guys recommending the Hogan SL been using it alone or with two people?

Been doing some reading up on it. Seems to go between people who have used it for years with no problems and people who had problems early on and had to send it back.

Thanks.

Thanks for the suggestions. Have you guys recommending the Hogan SL been using it alone or with two people?

Been doing some reading up on it. Seems to go between people who have used it for years with no problems and people who had problems early on and had to send it back.

Thanks.

When I first looked at the Force Tens I'd have sent them back because I and a good few others didn't believe the plastic apex pieces would be up to the job, but in many trips using them and a year selling tents I never saw a broken one.

What you see with your eyes doesn't always turn out the way you expect and I'm quite sure a lot of reviews are made on the bases of what people think rather than what they know.

my3cents wrote: »
    What you see with your eyes doesn't always turn out the way you expect and I'm quite sure a lot of reviews are made on the bases of what people think rather than what they know.

I always tone down negatives when reading reviews, people generally will go straight to the internet with an issue so skews the stats. The Vaude has mainly good reviews but there were a good few with concerns re the taping at the seams.

The weight of the force 10 is quite a lot for a two man which is stopping me a bit.

I wouldn't push you towards a force ten but its a useful (old) standard to judge others by, they don't even market them as "mountain" tents anymore. They are now aimed at the venture/boy scout market where being bomb proof and having a long life span are big priorities, you don't get those without a cost in weight.

Its also good to know about a range of tents and what makes a good one, that way if one that is suitable pops up cheap you know whether to snap it up or not.

Just to give you all an update.

I ended up pulling the trigger and getting a Mountain Hardware Trango 2 during the week.

I got it on sale (and a bit more) from Great Outdoors. Expensive tent but I got it a lot cheaper than I've seen anywhere on line including the US. Also it's split between 2 of us we're looking at it as an investment for years to come.

I read a lot of positive reviews of it from people who have been using their one for up to 15 years and the after sales service from Mountain Hardware seems to be great for any parts that need replacement due to wear.

It's 4.4kg which isn't as heavy as some more heavy duty tents and should be manageable split between 2.

Thanks for all your input and I'll probably head out over the coming weekends to try it out and report back.

Cheers

J

I'm very interested how you get on with the Trango 2 in particular how long it takes to pitch.

4.4 kg is still a good lot of weight, between 2 that's just short of 5lbs each in old money.

I put it up last night in my living room. Poles clip into the inner so it's easy enough. With two it'd take no time I think. Heading out tomorrow and planning on bringing it just to pitch. Will time it and let you know.

4.4 is heavy but for what I want it for I'm happy enough. Time will tell.

I put it up last night in my living room. Poles clip into the inner so it's easy enough. With two it'd take no time I think. Heading out tomorrow and planning on bringing it just to pitch. Will time it and let you know.

4.4 is heavy but for what I want it for I'm happy enough. Time will tell.

Looks like you have plenty of room, I'm fairly sure I've slept in 3 in a similar space before.

• Advertisement

Was out at the weekend and the outer of the tent ripped in winds that were not too bad at all. Pi$$ed off.

Have only been out three times in it. Bringing it back to Great Outdoors this weekend and they will send it on to Mountain Hardwear. Hopefully get sorted out.

Was out at the weekend and the outer of the tent ripped in winds that were not too bad at all. Pi$$ed off.

Have only been out three times in it. Bringing it back to Great Outdoors this weekend and they will send it on to Mountain Hardwear. Hopefully get sorted out.

For some reason, probably something I read when you started this thread, I thought Mountain Hardware tents came with a lifetime guarantee?

my3cents wrote: »
    For some reason, probably something I read when you started this thread, I thought Mountain Hardware tents came with a lifetime guarantee?

A 'limited lifetime guarantee', what ever that is..... that's what the great outdoors said anyway. I'm dropping it into them tomorrow.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 3,913 Mod ✭✭✭✭Planet X

I find it excellent, it has plenty room for tall people and gear.
    I also got the extra footprint ground sheet which protects the standard groundsheet and provides a handy floor for the porch.

The tent has a lot of nice features and you can tell it's a quality product.
    It's easy to put up, very sturdy when erected and only needs the guide ropes pegged in really bad wind.

It's an inner up first tent so that might put some off.

I highly recommend it.

Have the exact same tent, been using it for a few years now, bike camping.......but on the verge of going wild camping (not on the bike) in Wicklow soon.

Advertisement