Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Car dent

Options
  • 26-07-2016 7:37pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,863 ✭✭✭

Friends car must've been reversed into earlier as there is now a decent dent on the right front side of the bonnet. A bit of white paint from the culprit was also left on the car beside the wheel arch. How much would something like this cost to repair?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 12,235 ✭✭✭✭Cee-Jay-Cee

It's a very unusual shape dent! I'd say your friend would be better off getting a new wing. Because it's such a heavy dent it would take affair amount of filler to leave it right and IMO a wing is very difficult to fill properly and leave a factory smooth finish. It'll always looked 'filled' and rippled. A new wing won't be that expensive and they may even be able to get a second hand one the same colour from a breakers yard.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,701 ✭✭✭Cheensbo

New wing is probably cheapest & easiest option.

They might wanna get the brake discs changed too looks like theres fair wear on em

• Registered Users Posts: 1,863 ✭✭✭MuddyDog

How much would a new wing be?

• Registered Users Posts: 81,447 ✭✭✭✭Atlantic Dawn
    M

Could be damage to the tracking too, tyre seems to have some paint on it, would be worth taking it out on the motorway to see if tracking is out.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,597 ✭✭✭corsav6

Tigger wrote: »
    Fitted and sprayed 500 I'd guess or if they can get a match from a breakers a bit less

Less than €200 fitted if he can get 1 in the same colour from a breakers yard. Ring as many breakers as you can, including Traynors up in NI as most will do next day delivery.
    Its a very unusual dent, most likely a HGV as a car wouldn't do that damage.

• Advertisement

Thanks for the replies. It's a bit unlucky I've heard. Car was after getting serviced at the main dealers and it looks like someone reversed into it. How much would that knock off the value of the car? 2009 Seat Cordoba with 180,000km's 1.4 Diesel. From a quick look online probably 5.5k-6k but would this knock much off?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,081 ✭✭✭Mech1

very unusual damage, looks like high speed glancing impact rather than slow reversed into.

No motorcyclists seen lying about the area?

Mech1 wrote: »
    very unusual damage, looks like high speed glancing impact rather than slow reversed into.

No motorcyclists seen lying about the area?

Must've gotten up and sped away from the crime scene.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,297 ✭✭✭savagethegoat

Paint colours do vary slightly from car to car and a scrapyard wing may not match properly.

Any ideas on how much this dent would not off the selling price if it would have gone for about 5.5k before it happened? I'm thinking potential buyer would see it and would either be put off completely with the car thinking that it must have not been cared for or offers a lot less than asking considering the dent.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,701 ✭✭✭Cheensbo

It's a real piece of string question to be honest depending on who's buying it.

Put it this way, 100-200e for a swapped out wing is probably less than what would be knocked off the value. How much less? Who knows..

Cheensbo wrote: »
    It's a real piece of string question to be honest depending on who's buying it.

Put it this way, 100-200e for a swapped out wing is probably less than what would be knocked off the value. How much less? Who knows..

Yeah that's what I was thinking myself but just wanted to see if someone else thought the same. It just gives the buyer that little bit extra power to bargain. Thanks.

Advertisement