Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Going into 5th year soon. Need advice.

Options
  • 26-07-2016 5:33pm
    Registered Users Posts: 20

Hello, I completed ty and I am doing 5th year and I have a couple of questions.
    (a) I have done ordinary level Spanish and got a B in my junior cert and used my time in ty to learn new words and improved on listening and oral. Now I want to do Higher level for my leaving cert? Is it possible to move up?
    (b) How much work do you need to put in to 5th year, I dont do Irish because Im exempt so im doing the following subjects:
    H English
    O maths
    Biology
    Business
    Accounting
    Art
    Lcvp
    Spanish
    (c) how do I study for these and how should I organise my timing because I was thinking since Lcvp is common sense and I dont really nned to study for that. I was planning on studying one subject per night using the yes no yes technique
    I study my favorite sub one night, least favourite the next and another favorite the night after.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 90 ✭✭everesteduc

Try to keep on top of your homework. The Christmas tests will give you an idea if you need to do more. The most important thing for the first few months of fifth year is not to fall behind.

Studying one subject per night sounds nice and straightforward but you will learn more if you apply the yes no yes technique to one night. So instead of studying Biology for 2 hours tonight and English for 2 hours tomorrow night, you study 3 subjects for 40 minutes every night starting with your favourite, then least favourite, and then finishing with your favourite.

• Registered Users Posts: 146 ✭✭IrishLassie26

Everyone's method for studying effectively is different. For example I never heard of the yes no technique but it sounds good and it may help to motivate you!

As for 5th year stay on top of everything, do up notes as you go along, learn each chapter as if you were having a test and always do your homework as best you can. Ask for help if anything confuses you and tackle any difficulties or things you are struggling with straight away.

I'm going into leaving cert this year and I treated 5th year as if I was in leaving cert. I probably didnt put as much pressure on myself but I treated each chapter as if it was for the leaving cert at the end of 5th year!

For accounting just keep doing practice questions and take note of any theory questions asked and learn the answers.

Biology try to understand what is going on, learn definitions, do exam papers.

English just concentrate on what your doing in class and for homework. Try to learn any quotes you are given. It can be an awkward subject to study for.

I do french but treat Spanish the same. Do lots of comprehensions and listening exercises, try to pick up new words and make a start on writing out some oral questions. You should have no problem moving to higher again if you stay on top of things.

If you are doing ordinary maths you shouldn't really have a problem anyway. Anything you don't understand ... ask for an explanation. And do your homework.

Most importantly keep stress levels down in 5th year there is enough of pressure in 6th year so enjoy your last years of secondary school while you can! Hope this helps, any more questions feel free to ask :D

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,143 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

Don't make the mistake of thinking you won't have to put in any work for LCVP - that is if you are looking for a Distinction.

• Registered Users Posts: 20 Murp7784

spurious wrote: »
    Don't make the mistake of thinking you won't have to put in any work for LCVP - that is if you are looking for a Distinction.

But is LCVP common sense in terms of preparing for the world of work

• Registered Users Posts: 746 ✭✭✭Mr Rhode Island Red

5th year is as hard as you make it, you can get through it doing the bare minimum or you can push yourself if you want. It also depends on your subjects and their respective teachers (how much homework they give, whether they give regular class tests etc.)

I know people who scraped through 5th year doing the absolute bare minimum with regards to homework and study, then went foot to the floor in LC and came out with 500+ points, but having said that putting in a good effort in 5th year will ease a good chunk of the stress in LC.

Regarding LCVP, nobody has got a distinction in my school in the past 2 years, one student got a distinction the year before that. Nationwide only about 10% get a distinction; 50% get merits. Most of it is common sense, but your portfolio has to be perfect to get the distinction. What happens is people do nothing until about 2 weeks before the deadline in LC, then rush the portfolio and riddle it with mistakes.

Biology is not the
    pisstake
    many make it out to be. The sheer volume of stuff to be learnt off isn't to be laughed at, and more and more obscure questions are appearing on the exam every year, meaning only those with a deep understanding of the course can do very well. If you're only after a C or a D though, then yes, it is a doddle.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,143 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

Murp7784 wrote: »
    But is LCVP common sense in terms of preparing for the world of work

You won't get a distinction without a high mark in your portfolio.

Advertisement