Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Curses

Options
  • 26-07-2016 5:24pm
    Registered Users Posts: 208 ✭✭

Anybody ever have a curse put on them? A neighbour is a white witch and she is believed to put a curse on a family,they've suffered nothing but tragedy and bad luck in the last 5 years? Are they myths? Or just folklore?

Comments

• Moderators Posts: 51,709 ✭✭✭✭Delirium

MOD NOTE

Moved to World Religions forum.

If you can read this, you're too close!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,750 ✭✭✭Avatar MIA

A family that has been "cursed" and encounters bad luck will stand out. Many more cursed and when nothing unusual happens to them will not raise any interest.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,260 CMod ✭✭✭✭Nody

Going by foggy memory alone but by definition is not a white witch someone who does not curse people but cure only?

• Registered Users Posts: 28,047 ✭✭✭✭looksee

That was my understanding too Nody. However the question
    Are they myths? Or just folklore?
    suggests that the question was rather hastily composed.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,993 ✭✭✭✭recedite

candycock wrote: »
    Anybody ever have a curse put on them? A neighbour is a white witch and she is believed to put a curse on a family,they've suffered nothing but tragedy and bad luck in the last 5 years?
    Have you tried dunking her in water to extract a confession?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 208 ✭✭candycock

Excuse my ignorance she's actually a black witch I got the colour mixed up,anyone have experience of curses?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,993 ✭✭✭✭recedite

People are always cursing at me.
    But anyway, if she's a black witch, don't dunk her in water. They can be dangerous when angry.

• Registered Users Posts: 657 ✭✭✭tracey turnblad

My friends father was told that someone put a curse on my friend. She's really in to that and was very upset. She has no end of bad luck though and is up to her neck in debt and no matter what can't get out of it. Her husband was also knocked down and diagnosed with cancer ( he's her second husband) her first husband also died of cancer. He father also had a stroke around the same time. Whether it's coincidence or not I don't know but she mentions it to me now and again.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,809 ✭✭✭Speedwell

What religion are you? I mean, do you really believe individual people have that kind of power over things that happen to other people? If you're a Christian, what does it say about the power of Jesus to rebuke evil? My Jewish and Hindu and Muslim and even Wiccan friends all have things they say, do, and carry to remove and dispel curses. Consult your religious professional of choice.

• Registered Users Posts: 681 ✭✭✭gumbo1

There was once a group of unsavoury young men from finglas who had the nickname "the filthy 50". Rumour has it that they made enemies of a traveller family from around the area and that a member of the family put a curse on each member of the group. In the space of 5 years the majority of the group were dead and the rest were either in prison or struck down with serious illnesses.
    As for do I belive in curses, im not sure tbh. It could just have been a series of unfortunate events or it could have been the curse that led to the downfall of this gang. I guess if you belive in the supernatural then you kinda have to belive in curses too!

• Advertisement

gumbo1 wrote: »
    There was once a group of unsavoury young men from finglas who had the nickname "the filthy 50". Rumour has it that they made enemies of a traveller family from around the area and that a member of the family put a curse on each member of the group. In the space of 5 years the majority of the group were dead and the rest were either in prison or struck down with serious illnesses.
    As for do I belive in curses, im not sure tbh. It could just have been a series of unfortunate events or it could have been the curse that led to the downfall of this gang. I guess if you belive in the supernatural then you kinda have to belive in curses too!

A group of unsavory men getting prison sentences or experiencing Ill health from their clean living. Shocked ��

• Registered Users Posts: 35,625 ✭✭✭✭BorneTobyWilde

'I put a smell on you , because you're blind '

A group of unsavory men getting prison sentences or experiencing Ill health from their clean living. Shocked ��

It was more the manner in which the guy's died. You might remember a guy shot himself in the head with a shotgun while sitting in the back of a car, it was over 10 years ago now, but the story was that the guys in the car were on their way to shoot up the aforementioned traveller's settlement. Coincidence or "the curse"?

• Registered Users Posts: 22,231 ✭✭✭✭endacl

Anybody ever have a curse put on them?

No. Nobody. Not one person. Ever. In the entire history of everything.

gumbo1 wrote: »
    It was more the manner in which the guy's died. You might remember a guy shot himself in the head with a shotgun while sitting in the back of a car, it was over 10 years ago now, but the story was that the guys in the car were on their way to shoot up the aforementioned traveller's settlement. Coincidence or "the curse"?

Coked up gang banger fidgeted with loaded gun in back seat of car and accidently discharged firearm.

Posting this from my mobile so not sure if the link will work.

http://m.herald.ie/news/how-filthy-fifty-fell-under-an-old-gypsys-death-curse-27889623.html

• Registered Users Posts: 40 Lamentabli sane

Anybody ever have a curse put on them? A neighbour is a white witch and she is believed to put a curse on a family,they've suffered nothing but tragedy and bad luck in the last 5 years? Are they myths? Or just folklore?

Curses are quite real. It is a form of satanic oppression, where some malignant spirit harasses the cursed individual. Such curses are usually the work of people who deal with the occult such as witches, shamans, satanists.. From what I gather, holy men can also curse, ie. remove God's protection. There is evidence of this in the Bible and I have heard of priests who have cursed traitors with deadly results.

The only way to remove such a curse is with God's Grace. The family should contact a solid, traditional priest who will be able to help and instruct them. Sometimes an exorcist may be necessary.

These people cannot give up. God can break any curses, hexes or spells, all one has to do is ask. (:

A cursed person should also reconsider his or her relationship with God. When someone is in God's friendship (in the state of Grace ie. with no mortal sin staining his soul), they should generally be immune from such attacks, but there are exceptions (in the Bible, Job was in a way cursed but was a righteous man).

Curses are quite real.

Only if you believe in them. Seriously, I thought everyone knew about the witch-doctor-death-curse thing.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 15,708 Mod ✭✭✭✭smacl

endacl wrote: »
    No. Nobody. Not one person. Ever. In the entire history of everything.

Not so. Much like the placebo effect works, if you have a belief system that has faith in curses a curse can do you real damage, e.g. voodoo curses in haiti. If you dress up as a doctor and tell someone perfectly healthy waiting in a surgery that they have a serious illness, very many will feel immediately physically ill. Doesn't really matter whether you call it a curse or a nocebo, same net effect.

Speedwell wrote: »
    Only if you believe in them. Seriously, I thought everyone knew about the witch-doctor-death-curse thing.

Huge numbers of people believe in all sorts of crazy stuff though. God, Allah, the notion that Trump is a good and honest person, etc... ;)

• Advertisement

smacl wrote: »
    Huge numbers of people believe in all sorts of crazy stuff though. God, Allah, the notion that Trump is a good and honest person, etc... ;)

Eh, I'm a weird sort of secular, I have all kinds of New-Age mystical friends and I collect Tarot cards and crystal spheres. I have a very superior witch costume I wear for Halloween. Maybe I should set up as the Boards curse-remover. Bibbidy-bobbidy-boo! :)

smacl wrote: »
    Not so. Much like the placebo effect works, if you have a belief system that has faith in curses a curse can do you real damage, e.g. voodoo curses in haiti. If you dress up as a doctor and tell someone perfectly healthy waiting in a surgery that they have a serious illness, very many will feel immediately physically ill. Doesn't really matter whether you call it a curse or a nocebo, same net effect.

It's not the curse doing the damage in that instance though. It's the somatic response to the irrational belief.

Potaytopotato I agree, but pedantry and all that...

Curses are quite real. It is a form of satanic oppression, where some malignant spirit harasses the cursed individual. Such curses are usually the work of people who deal with the occult such as witches, shamans, satanists.. From what I gather, holy men can also curse, ie. remove God's protection. There is evidence of this in the Bible and I have heard of priests who have cursed traitors with deadly results.

The only way to remove such a curse is with God's Grace. The family should contact a solid, traditional priest who will be able to help and instruct them. Sometimes an exorcist may be necessary.

These people cannot give up. God can break any curses, hexes or spells, all one has to do is ask. (:

A cursed person should also reconsider his or her relationship with God. When someone is in God's friendship (in the state of Grace ie. with no mortal sin staining his soul), they should generally be immune from such attacks, but there are exceptions (in the Bible, Job was in a way cursed but was a righteous man).
    What's the nice way of saying "ah, g'wan away outta that with your superstitious nonsense and the big auld holy head on ya"?

endacl wrote: »
    It's not the curse doing the damage in that instance though. It's the somatic response to the irrational belief.

Potaytopotato I agree, but pedantry and all that...

A bit like saying being thrown out of a fourth floor window won't kill you but the landing just might. At the same time the person doing the throwing would be guilty based on their intent to harm. How the curse works and to what degree is not really that important, the point remains that for susceptible people it can cause damage even if it is only mild upset. The range of harm that one person can inflict upon another goes well beyond physical assault, so even if a curse simply causes prolonged emotional distress, it has quite clearly worked.

p.s. anyone who doesn't copy this post to at least 17 of their friends will spend an entire day walking aimlessly around IKEA with their significant other and screaming kids in the month of November. Be very careful now....

Speedwell wrote: »
    Eh, I'm a weird sort of secular, I have all kinds of New-Age mystical friends and I collect Tarot cards and crystal spheres. I have a very superior witch costume I wear for Halloween. Maybe I should set up as the Boards curse-remover. Bibbidy-bobbidy-boo! :)

I used to read Tarot cards for people when I was a young lad, great fun but surprising how upset some people go when they drew a bum card. Was told to stop after a friends mum got the the hanged man (yourself), the tower (your house) and death (the future) among her last four cards.

Advertisement