Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Estates - Focus ST-3, GTD, Leon, etc

Options
  • 26-07-2016 4:25pm
    Registered Users Posts: 13

Hi Boardies,

Long time unregistered viewer to the 47 forum. Plenty of knowledge here.

I'm looking to upgrade my hatchback to an diesel estate (2014+) due to new members of the family arriving at the end of the year. My annual mileage is about 25,000 miles.

Kinda always wanted an estate car, they look well with a good spec.

At the moment (from youtube clips, reviews and price) the Ford Focus ST-3 is leading, I haven't seen any around only standard ones. The Golf GTD is the best overall but probably too pricey for me and the Seat Leon which I have test drove is a nice place to be in and a decent drive.

The UK is probably the best place to purchase, I'll be over in next month and will check out a few dealers, car supermarkets.

Anyone own or have test driven the ST-3 or GTD? Thoughts on the Leon? Others estates that are not mentioned?

Thanks.

Run

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,381 ✭✭✭vintagevrs

If I was looking for a quick diesel estate I would look at a 330d. May mean the plate is a bit older for same money but that's what I would do.

• Registered Users Posts: 92 ✭✭oscar2

How about Peugeot 308 Sw.
    For a Peugeot it gets good reviews as far as build quality etc. Drove on 2 week hire was comfortable and easy to drive.Not very exciting but estates shouldn't be. Had great boot space did find Touch screen bit fiddly. Not sure about economy but had Aircon on full blast!

http://www.honestjohn.co.uk/carbycar/peugeot/308-sw-2014/

• Registered Users Posts: 4,939 ✭✭✭Bigus

Leons are great but you need to rob one for the sake of your depreciation on the far end . In a lot of ways they are better built then the equivalent golf on the same platform.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,859 ✭✭✭tabby aspreme

What about the Civic estate

• Registered Users Posts: 11,494 ✭✭✭✭For Forks Sake

oscar2 wrote: »
    For a Peugeot it gets good reviews as far as build quality etc. Drove on 2 week hire was comfortable and easy to drive.Not very exciting but estates shouldn't be. Had great boot space did find Touch screen bit fiddly. Not sure about economy but had Aircon on full blast!

http://www.honestjohn.co.uk/carbycar/peugeot/308-sw-2014/

OP is considering a Focus ST, Golf GTD or a Leon FR, and you suggest the 308, which in the negative points in your link says "Not as good to drive as a Leon ST."

Also, can't see them selling ranging the 2.0 version here, which leaves the 120hp 1.6 as the highest powered version and in the poor place compared to the three suggested int the OP.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 92 ✭✭oscar2

OP mentioned looking in Uk and is available there in 180bhp2.0 litre.Fastest model is here
    http://www.carbuyer.co.uk/reviews/peugeot/308/estate/20-bluehdi-150-gt-line-sw-auto_7391060/review

• Registered Users Posts: 3,045 ✭✭✭GustavoFring

Focus or GTD estate would be nice for rarity tbh. The Leon's are a very good car, Octavia RS is in a similar vein and shares a lot of the FR and GTD bits. The engine in the 3 of them is quite good for what it is too.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,776 ✭✭✭maddness

Fast estate cars are cool. I don't like the Focus hatch but the estate ST looks great. The Leon is also far better looking in the estate version, a friend of mine has the Leon FR st and it's lovely. Octavia RS estate is another good one.
    The Golf Estate is an awful looking yoke though and I drive a golf myself.

• Registered Users Posts: 13 RunOnTheLeft

Thanks for the replies.
    vintagevrs wrote: »
    If I was looking for a quick diesel estate I would look at a 330d. May mean the plate is a bit older for same money but that's what I would do.

Not a BMW fan :)

I'd say I would get fairly bored at looking at it after a short while. There is a Peugeot dealer close to me, will check it out.

Only a 1.6l diesel engine!
    maddness wrote: »
    Fast estate cars are cool. I don't like the Focus hatch but the estate ST looks great. The Leon is also far better looking in the estate version, a friend of mine has the Leon FR st and it's lovely. Octavia RS estate is another good one.

Yeah forgot to mention in my first post about the vRS, looks very well in the estate version. A friend has a 151 estate, gonna ask him for a quick drive in it soon.
    Focus estate is still winning at the moment.

Thanks for the replies.
    vintagevrs wrote: »

Not a BMW fan :)

I'd say I would get fairly bored at looking at it after a short while. There is a Peugeot dealer close to me, will check it out.

Only a 1.6l diesel engine!
    maddness wrote: »

Yeah forgot to mention in my first post about the vRS, looks very well in the estate version. A friend has a 151 estate, gonna ask him for a quick drive in it soon.
    Focus estate is still winning at the moment.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,677 ✭✭✭✭R.O.R

Whats the budget?

Left field option - Volvo V60 D6 Twin Engine. 2.4d 5 cylinder diesel with 200+hp driving the front wheels, 80hp Electric motors driving the rear wheels to give AWD when needed and an alleged 180mpg (LOL).

Not sure how pricing compares to the GTD/ST3 Estates as there's no Irish pricing for those, but it retails in Ireland at €45k after the grants, and would be eligable for grants if importing one, due to Co2 being less than 50g (plug in hybrid)

R.O.R wrote: »
    Whats the budget?

Left field option - Volvo V60 D6 Twin Engine. 2.4d 5 cylinder diesel with 200+hp driving the front wheels, 80hp Electric motors driving the rear wheels to give AWD when needed and an alleged 180mpg (LOL).

Not sure how pricing compares to the GTD/ST3 Estates as there's no Irish pricing for those, but it retails in Ireland at €45k after the grants, and would be eligable for grants if importing one, due to Co2 being less than 50g (plug in hybrid)

Budget would be around €25,000 to €27,000.

Saw V60 D4 yesterday after work, nice looking machine!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,776 ✭✭✭maddness

R.O.R wrote: »
    Whats the budget?

Serious sleeper the Volvo, 5.8 to 60mph.

• Registered Users Posts: 669 ✭✭✭Golfgorfield

I have recently bought a Leon ST FR with DSG, it is a fantastic car, my wife uses it mostly, and it does everything really well, its quick, very comfortable and looks great, load space is great for the family, great on diesel. Cannot fault it. So glad we went for the DSG version also, i will never buy manual again. Lovely one below for sale

http://www.carzone.ie/used-cars/seat/leon/used-2015-151-seat-leon-fr-tipperary-fpa-201314643594718430

Advertisement