Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

How interchangeable are car seats?

Options
  • 26-07-2016 2:13pm
    Registered Users Posts: 28,789 ✭✭✭✭

I need to replace my car seat again. It's a C4 van I've already had to replace the seat once because it just fell apart, the problem is I got a seat from one of the people carriers and the seating position is horrible, it's too high.

I don't want to spend a fortune but I do want something pretty low for a better driving position. Are car seats mounts standardised? Would a seat from a BMW fit into a citroen?

I was looking at new seats, the mounting rails currently in the car are failing. Where would be a good place to go looking for seats, either new or second hand? dOn't want to spend to much money on a van seat but I would also like a low seat.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 23,268 ✭✭✭✭mickdw

What's wrong with getting a seat out of a c4 at a breakers instead of playing a guessing game as to what will fit nicely?

• Registered Users Posts: 81,223 ✭✭✭✭biko

Sorry OP but no, seats are not standardised.
    Usually it's best to get another set from the same model car.
    Or you can buy the seats you like and change the rail mounting points, but even then rail width is probably different, seat belt receptacle different, and you have to change seat sensor looms etc for airbag.

Go to a breakers and try a few seats. If you find a good one measure mounting points etc and check for electrics in seat.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,789 ✭✭✭✭ScumLord

mickdw wrote: »
    What's wrong with getting a seat out of a c4 at a breakers instead of playing a guessing game as to what will fit nicely?
    I did that and ended up with the high seat from the picasso C4.

The other problem is these citroen seats don't seem to be much good. The drivers one started to get holes in it pretty quickly, then the rail started to come loose or stuck some way so the seat won't move back or forward, that's started happening to the passenger seat and it's rarely used.

I'll have a look for one of the better quality seats. Would the seats be common across the range? Like would the seat from a C5 fit into the C4?

there's no electrics to worry about in the seats.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,588 ✭✭✭tossy

Just take your seat to good upholsterer and get them to put better material in the seat,if you do a lot of miles it's a no brainer.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,268 ✭✭✭✭mickdw

ScumLord wrote: »
    I did that and ended up with the high seat from the picasso c4.

The Picasso is clearly a different car completely.
    Just get a good seat from a c4 car or van. Job done.

• Advertisement
Advertisement