Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

buying a hurl for 3 year old

Options
  • 26-07-2016 1:58pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,813 ✭✭✭

Hi promised I'd buy my son a hurl. Going away to wexford for the weekend and wanted to get it before that.

Anyone recommend online or shop in Dublin? Also I tried a 24 inch beside him in smyths and it was up to his hip but his wrist probably is about 3 inch lower so should I just get a 20 inch?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,119 ✭✭✭big_drive

Wrist height would be ideal. But in this case as he's young perhaps the longer one as he'll grow into it? Save you a bit of money too instead of having to buy again when he gets older

• Moderators, Sports Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators Posts: 23,924 Mod ✭✭✭✭Clareman

I got my 3 year old a 26", at this age they aren't going to be doing much with it so might as well cater for a growth spurt.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,813 ✭✭✭peteb2

Really? Everything I've seen online says shorter is better. And should be light enough to wield it like a sword

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,723 ✭✭✭nice_guy80

• Registered Users Posts: 2,532 ✭✭✭A2LUE42

Unless those kids are giants, those hurleys are miles too big. A 20 inch is a more appropriate size for up to U6. If you don't know your local Hurley maker, Elverys normally have some in stock. The sizing of a hurley being up to your hip is no longer the advised coaching. I had gotten a 26 inch one for my son and had to go back and get a 20 inch. The sizing method now is the if you hold it in one hand and swing it by your side that the hurley should brush the grass.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 189 ✭✭taxus_baccata

Bought a small timber one (not the hulog) in elverys. You could probably buy online from them too

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,045 ✭✭✭✭gramar

nice_guy80 wrote: »

I'd second that. Few different sizes available, light, comes with a ball too. Ideal for that age to get started and at 20 quid or so it's decent enough value.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,723 ✭✭✭nice_guy80

Bought a small timber one (not the hulog) in elverys. You could probably buy online from them too

a 3 year old doesn't need a heavy timber hurley
    you mightn't think it's heavy, but they have a tiny wrist and cannot grip it tight enough

• Registered Users Posts: 3,119 ✭✭✭big_drive

That hurlog would be excellent option is say

• Registered Users Posts: 7,942 ✭✭✭threeball

My 3 yr old almost 4, uses a 20 inch and well able to wield it. His 5yr old brother uses a 22.Shorter hurl is easier to control. See lads down at training dragging the hurl along the ground after them as it's up to their belly button. The they'll grow in to it doesn't work here. That's 6 months to a year of skill development lost. 5yr old is picking the ball, striking from the hand and can get a good few yards balancing on the bos. Definitely use a short stick

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,813 ✭✭✭peteb2

Thanks for all the advice lads. Elvery for have a torpey hurl. But it's 22 quid. Considering torpey sell direct at 12 quid it's a bit rich !

Found a gaa club near a family member that have one for 15 euro

• Registered Users Posts: 729 ✭✭✭MattressRick

Hi everyone,

Just wondering where I could get a very light 20" ash hurl for kids starting out?

Got a lovely light one locally in Galway last year, it's 250g, the bas and handle were nice and slim so it was very easy for the young lad to hold it right and it was light in his hands so he developed a nice few skills pretty fast. But this year's stock from the same source has a very meaty bas.

There's precious few broken hurls at U6 so if anyone can advise where I could get nice slim hurls anywhere it'd be much appreciated.

Thanks!

• Registered Users Posts: 77 ✭✭longrunn

Star Hurleys have light and beautifully balanced kids hurleys. My young lad got one for Xmas and the difference is incredible compared to his others. This is size 28 though.

• Registered Users Posts: 729 ✭✭✭MattressRick

Thanks for that longrunn

Advertisement