Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Rock from truck trailer damaged windshield

Options
  • 26-07-2016 10:23am
    Registered Users Posts: 5

I was overtaking a truck pulling a open trailor and a rock came from it and hit my windshield and has damaged it, i tried to get drivers attension but was unsuccesfull. I took the trucks reg and company name,
    I rang the company and they are denying it happened.
    Ive been in touch with guards they told me to request there insurance info and the company will not tell me.
    The guards invested the trucks insurance and said is based in uk all they will tell me ,and nothing they can do other than i go to station make formal statement,
    Any advice?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,249 ✭✭✭pippip

Unless you have footage or witnesses it will be very hard to prove if they are already denying it.

If you have windscreen cover on your policy I'd just get it sorted yourself.

Even if you don't I think you'd be just better paying it and move on, especially if they are UK based, alot of messing around and wont be a quick resolution and you're hardly going to be driving around with a damaged windscreen while you wait.

• Registered Users Posts: 81,263 ✭✭✭✭Atlantic Dawn
    M

Truck is UK reg or trucks insurance is UK, neither should make any difference in pursuing a claim? I thought it was illegal to transport unsecured loads, surely no truck should be carrying uncovered rocks?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,881 ✭✭✭shietpilot

Happened to me and I had to suck it up and replace the windshield. It cost me €100 to replace the windshield with a new one. I reckon if I would have claimed it from insurance my renewal would have gone up more than €100!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,297 ✭✭✭savagethegoat

I think you'll struggle to prove the rock fell off the truck rather than was thrown up by it's wheel

Does your insurance cover glass?

• Registered Users Posts: 5 Paulvwdublin

pippip wrote: »
    Unless you have footage or witnesses it will be very hard to prove if they are already denying it.

If you have windscreen cover on your policy I'd just get it sorted yourself.

Even if you don't I think you'd be just better paying it and move on, especially if they are UK based, alot of messing around and wont be a quick resolution and you're hardly going to be driving around with a damaged windscreen while you wait.

Sorry i forgot to mention there was 3 of us in the car we all seen happen and i dont have windscreen protection

• Advertisement

I was overtaking a truck pulling a open trailor and a rock came from it and hit my windshield and has damaged it, i tried to get drivers attension but was unsuccesfull. I took the trucks reg and company name,
    I rang the company and they are denying it happened.
    Ive been in touch with guards they told me to request there insurance info and the company will not tell me.
    The guards invested the trucks insurance and said is based in uk all they will tell me ,and nothing they can do other than i go to station make formal statement,
    Any advice?

Few more details 3 of us in the car seen it come from the trailor, it was an open trailor with big open bags on it also had palats on back ive a photo of the trailor i took from behind

I think you'll struggle to prove the rock fell off the truck rather than was thrown up by it's wheel

Does your insurance cover glass?

We all seen it come from the trailor

Truck is UK reg or trucks insurance is UK, neither should make any difference in pursuing a claim? I thought it was illegal to transport unsecured loads, surely no truck should be carrying uncovered rocks?

The truck is irish but the insurance is in uk guarf told me , guard told me only information his system has is the insurance of truck in uk but his systems does not have policy info

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,697 ✭✭✭MaceFace

Forget about it. If you do make contact with their insurance company, they will ask the driver for his side. He will deny it happened. Case closed.
    You need an independent witness.

I say this from experience. Someone drove into me recently. They claim it was my fault. It was absolutely theirs and they are lying. No independent witnesses (the other driver had a person in their car backing their side, but it is irrelevant).

Save yourself heartache - sort it yourself and move on.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,297 ✭✭✭savagethegoat

you'd need to claim from your insurance to get anywhere if you can't get insurance details from the Gards.( I'd put it down to experience)

• Advertisement
Advertisement