Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ogham tattoo translation

Options
  • 26-07-2016 9:56am
    Registered Users Posts: 121 ✭✭

Hi I am looking at getting my family names tattooed in ogham writing , I understand ogham was not a language but an alphabet so its fairly hard to translate directly , anyone know how i can go about translating irish surnames to ogham , i don't quite trust the online translators, thanks a million for any help.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,718 ✭✭✭Bluefoam

I researched the same.... My uncle gave me allot of advice & is a Gaeilgeoir and something of a historian & scholar... No one can be sure what the original alphabet truly was, it was probably quite loose and different from region to region, clan to clan... There are two main ones online & either are acceptable in modern terms.

My advice is:
    • chose the alphabet you are most comfortable with
    • translate into accurate Irish (I'd be looking at older dialects)

If you do both of these things, you are staying relatively true to the origins of ogham & should be satisfied with the resulting script. I haven't had mine done yet, but I will. The aim for me is that the message is concealed and have allot of meaning, but only for me & those who know... it will be quite original visually.

Allot of Ogham is read from bottom to top, but I believe it can also be used the other way around... Most important is its meaning to you

• Registered Users Posts: 6,744 ✭✭✭raze_them_all_

Bluefoam wrote: »
    I researched the same.... My uncle gave me allot of advice & is a Gaeilgeoir and something of a historian & scholar... No one can be sure what the original alphabet truly was, it was probably quite loose and different from region to region, clan to clan... There are two main ones online & either are acceptable in modern terms.

My advice is:
    • chose the alphabet you are most comfortable with
    • translate into accurate Irish (I'd be looking at older dialects)

If you do both of these things, you are staying relatively true to the origins of ogham & should be satisfied with the resulting script. I haven't had mine done yet, but I will. The aim for me is that the message is concealed and have allot of meaning, but only for me & those who know... it will be quite original visually.

Allot of Ogham is read from bottom to top, but I believe it can also be used the other way around... Most important is its meaning to you
    No,This is 100% not true, like this gem

https://news.bme.com/2007/02/23/drugail-saor/

I did say to translate into accurate Irish...

I did say to translate into accurate Irish...

• Registered Users Posts: 555 ✭✭✭bobdcow

Ogham is read bottom up

• Advertisement
Advertisement