Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Using traffic cones to reserve parking spot

Options
  • 25-07-2016 10:05pm
    Registered Users Posts: 138 ✭✭

Hi, I was in town the other day and parked at merrion square (mon-sat) Sunday free so it was handy, I did notice however around 4 parking spots with traffic cones on them (not Gardai) I assume they were been held by the artists who display there paintings on the railings...

Does anyoine know if this is legal practice? would they have reserved them in advance? as i said I managed to find a free spot but if I didn't I would have been pissed at 4 spots 'taken' up by cones! :mad:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,964 ✭✭✭Kopparberg Strawberry and Lime

Free cones to good home you say ?

A cone like that has no legal standing unless it is the garda ko parking one

I say work away

• Registered Users Posts: 81,223 ✭✭✭✭biko

No it's not legal but no-one will get out of their car to move one so...
    Here I have seen milk crates and all kinds of stuff used to "reserve" the spot outside someone's house.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,964 ✭✭✭Kopparberg Strawberry and Lime

biko wrote: »
    Here I have seen milk crates and all kinds of stuff used to "reserve" the spot outside someone's house.

Free milk crates you say. ........

• Registered Users Posts: 7,761 ✭✭✭Pinch Flat

It's a public road - no one has a right to "reserve" a parking space. somw years ago I used to drive to work in the city - I was working near ringsend and this was common practice. Had a few face offs with residents when they caught me taking the "reserved" space, which was usually one of the few available on the street.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 518 ✭✭✭FluffyAngel

cones only work when you have a high vis on..

or up on the back window

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,249 ✭✭✭pippip

• Registered Users Posts: 8,229 ✭✭✭LeinsterDub

Seen a taxi driver who lived in powers court place just off mount steers. 2 cones outside his house. When he wanted to park he just pushed the cone out of his way with his car!

• Registered Users Posts: 10,462 ✭✭✭✭WoollyRedHat

How do you know they weren't trying to catch a pokemon?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,580 ✭✭✭moleyv

Sometimes for casual trading, there will be a sign over a few parking spaces, saying something like:

No parking on Wednesday 12-4 as space is reserved for casual trading

Other councils might do different. Or if someone applies to place a skip in parking spaces temporarily is another possibility. If there is no sign explaining it I'd say work away.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,605 ✭✭✭✭Squidgy Black

In a public place such as Merrion Square I'd say fair game, they've no right to stick them there unless they're put there by the Garda.

However, outside someone's house is a different story personally. I know first hand how frustrating it can be to come home and have the spot outside your house taken by some random person leaving you to park your car right down the road out of sight.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,478 ✭✭✭eeguy

_Tyrrell_ wrote: »
    In a public place such as Merrion Square I'd say fair game, they've no right to stick them there unless they're put there by the Garda.

However, outside someone's house is a different story personally. I know first hand how frustrating it can be to come home and have the spot outside your house taken by some random person leaving you to park your car right down the road out of sight.

Is it not still fair game? People live on Merrion Sq too.

I'd be afraid of finding your car has been keyed by some random person who is definitely not the person who put out those cones you moved

• Registered Users Posts: 10,209 ✭✭✭✭Marcusm

Actually it is unlawful to place an obstruction on a public road. Parking a car is a lawful activity, parking a cone is not.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,016 ✭✭✭✭Esel

Years ago I was in a hurry and moved a 'plank and two buckets' reservation system so I could use the space. Came back to find a nice dent in passenger door and the presumed culprit standing in his doorway smirking at me.

Many moons later....

Not your ornery onager

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,268 ✭✭✭visual

Esel wrote: »
    Years ago I was in a hurry and moved a 'plank and two buckets' reservation system so I could use the space. Came back to find a nice dent in passenger door and the presumed culprit standing in his doorway smirking at me.

Many moons later....

This is the problem they don't have any right to parking space but you always known in back of your mind some people aren't nice and will damage your car out of spite.

If they do have issue the local council will normally offer paid parking and residential parking for small fee.

But as it's a public road the Garda should be coming down on obstacles being place in road and that includes wheelie bins also used to discourage parking.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,670 ✭✭✭quadrifoglio verde

The flower seller outside mount Jerome does this on a Sunday! Not the shop but the blue van.

I took great delight in moving the cone on Saturday evening.
    It's not your parking space love

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 5,769 Mod ✭✭✭✭irish_goat

There's a fella in Derry does this with some cones that he's actually managed to fill with concrete so they're a bit heavier. I used to live round the corner and would come home drunk and move them all the time...and I didn't even own a car. :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 297 ✭✭bonyn

irish_goat wrote: »
    There's a fella in Derry does this with some cones that he's actually managed to fill with concrete so they're a bit heavier. I used to live round the corner and would come home drunk and move them all the time...and I didn't even own a car. :pac:

Reminds me of a time the gardai pulled up behind my friend as he walked down the street with a cone.
    "Where are you going with the cone?" They said
    He replied "right back where I got it"
    Decent enough they let him on his merry way back.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,629 ✭✭✭corks finest

I'd move them,of course I'd knock and tell the householder ,if I thought it was going to cause hassle,leave my number etc,but if I needed to park,I'd park

• Registered Users Posts: 108 ✭✭ItsLikeThis

The hotels in letterkenny are getting fond of reserving spaces for coaches too I've noticed.

Advertisement