Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Volunteering or working at a Gealtacht as a third level student? Is it doable?

Options
  • 25-07-2016 3:41pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2

Hey all.

Just wondering if somebody may be able to help me out with something.

I'm 20 and from Wicklow and did my leaving cert over a year ago now. I'm currently studing in drama scholl and pursing music. I attended the Gealtacht once in 5th year in Achill and was one of the best experiences I've had. My Irish isn't the best, hence why I went but for somebody who appreciates his arts and culture, it's something I still endevour to improve on and add to.

I just love evrrething about it, the West in general is my favourite part of the world and somewhere I try to get to on as many occasions as possible.

I and a friend were chatting about this for months and discussed how we knew we were too old for attending the Gealtacht but were wondering was there any or would anybody know of any contacts or spots that are looking for volunteers or people to work in any of the Gealtachts?

Obviously we would love somewhere that is open to taken past students and current third level students etc.

The problem is my Irish isn't exceptional, but as I've said it's something I really want to improve on and develop. Being too old now for the courses means volunteering would give me an opurtnity to enhance the small bit I have at the moment.

So basically if anybody knew places that would have a volunteer or two for the month of August, we would be overjoyed and leap at the opurtnity.

Hope you guys can help.

Cian

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,142 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

You might need Garda clearance, depending on what you'd be doing, but no harm email a number of colleges and ask.

• Registered Users Posts: 199 ✭✭Hana98

My friend got paid for helping. Although he knew people there.
    A Gaeltacht course told my friend that he either needed to attend a Gaeltacht course(as hadn't ever) or attend a course at Halloween. Both options are full of secondary school students.
    Beware! You might have to invent games for them, discipline them and help them when they're sick.

Advertisement