Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Whittling

Options
  • 25-07-2016 1:31pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,053 ✭✭✭

Are there any shops in Dublin that would sell whittling materials such as carving knives or starter kits?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 140 ✭✭Rolllo

Mcquillan's on Capel St. stock 'Flexcut' knives, they seem to be the most well known brand although Mora knives are often recommended and you can get those from some outdoor places. Of course you can whittle with any sharp knife, the shape of the blade and handle is a matter of your own preference.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,053 ✭✭✭KJ

Thanks for the info. I started the other day just to give it a try. The only suitable knife I have is a Swiss Army knife. It works fine but I would like to use a knife with a better handle and sharper.

For the finish, what oil would you recommend? Is hemp oil suitable? I've read that nut oils are very good but then you get into the issue of people with nut allergies.

• Registered Users Posts: 140 ✭✭Rolllo

Hemp oil should be good, I've never used it myself but I hear it's good and gives a matte finish. I usually use boiled linseed oil or furniture wax which you can get from most hardware places.

Advertisement