Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

WD Dedicated NAS vs Router USB with WD hard drive

Options
  • 25-07-2016 12:18pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,695 ✭✭✭

Hey,

I had planned on picking up a NAS server to share media around the house, mostly HD stuff.

I recently purchased a TP Link Archer C9 and am amazed at the speeds available between various devices. I connected a WD 2tb hard drive and shared it out and everything is playing excellently.

So now the dilemma, do I need to pick up a NAS. I could pick up the WD 4tb NAS hard drive for €180 but I could also pick up a WD 4tb hard drive for €135.

What would the NAS give me over my current setup?

I dont have any really need to go down the RAID route, but it would be nice to have. Is there any other NAS device I should be looking at that I could add an additional hard drive to later?

Any help appreciated!

Branners
    Tagged:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 36,167 ✭✭✭✭ED E

If you want to run some services on your NAS (FTP, Plex, Download clients, Dropbox, Owncloud) then a router won't cut it. Also expansion is more limited. But if all you need a basic SMB share then the router is fine.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,317 ✭✭✭davo2001

Dedicated NAS all the way, I've got one for sale in my sig if you're interested.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,695 ✭✭✭branners69

I think I'll stick with the router option at the moment.

Thanks for the replies!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 16,635 ✭✭✭✭dr.fuzzenstein

I have an old USB drive connected to a raspberry Pi, it shares files via samba and the telly picks it up via mini DLNA. Also has remote desktop, downloads torrents, but the great thing is, it can do whatever you want it to do. If you buy a dedicated NAS, you are forever restricted by what its designed to do.
    The Pi will do just about anything. I say this and I used to work for Buffalo.
    The only thing going for a dedicated NAS is RAID.

Advertisement