Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

CAVAN-OPENING A RESTAURANT IN TOWN

Options
  • 25-07-2016 12:12pm
    Registered Users Posts: 11

HI everyone.

Looking for advise mostly from people living in Cavan

We have an opportunity to take over Restaurant and run it. We are looking long time now for our own place, but we are not from Cavan area. All our research is done in co.Meath.

The questions:

1 Is Cavan busy? Is there a good market for new restaurant?
    2 What is the current situation with Cavan Restaurant? Are you happy with food quality? Which one is your favorite?

We work in Restaurant business for over 15 years and have a great experience. Only thing is, we dont know Cavan's market very well.

Thank you for your advise.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,052 ✭✭✭gazzer

SmolkoSK wrote: »
    HI everyone.

Looking for advise mostly from people living in Cavan

We have an opportunity to take over Restaurant and run it. We are looking long time now for our own place, but we are not from Cavan area. All our research is done in co.Meath.

The questions:

1 Is Cavan busy? Is there a good market for new restaurant?
    2 What is the current situation with Cavan Restaurant? Are you happy with food quality? Which one is your favorite?

We work in Restaurant business for over 15 years and have a great experience. Only thing is, we dont know Cavan's market very well.

Thank you for your advise.

Hi there. In my opinion there is not a great market for restaurants in Cavan Town. For some reason not many people seem to go out during the week. Weekends are pretty bad as well. Drive down the main street at 10pm on a Friday night and there is hardly anybody about.

I presume it is due to a lack of money but maybe there are other reasons. The recovery has not hit Cavan yet. There are 3 shops on the main street that are right beside each other and are lying idle, a couple of restaurants have shut down or are in the process of shutting down. Its a pretty dead town overall.

I have gone to 3 different restaurants over the last 2 months. One on a Monday evening, one on a Wednesday evening and one on a Thursday evening. On all 3 occasions we were the only people in the resturant.

• Registered Users Posts: 11 SmolkoSK

gazzer wrote: »
    Hi there. In my opinion there is not a great market for restaurants in Cavan Town. For some reason not many people seem to go out during the week. Weekends are pretty bad as well. Drive down the main street at 10pm on a Friday night and there is hardly anybody about.

I presume it is due to a lack of money but maybe there are other reasons. The recovery has not hit Cavan yet. There are 3 shops on the main street that are right beside each other and are lying idle, a couple of restaurants have shut down or are in the process of shutting down. Its a pretty dead town overall.

I have gone to 3 different restaurants over the last 2 months. One on a Monday evening, one on a Wednesday evening and one on a Thursday evening. On all 3 occasions we were the only people in the resturant.

First at all thank you very much for time to write this down for me. Funny enough I rang 3 times to one restaurant to book a table for Friday and twice for Saturday and they were always fully booked.

Also as I did my research found hotels to be very busy.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,052 ✭✭✭gazzer

SmolkoSK wrote: »
    First at all thank you very much for time to write this down for me. Funny enough I rang 3 times to one restaurant to book a table for Friday and twice for Saturday and they were always fully booked.

Also as I did my research found hotels to be very busy.

That is very interesting. Where these in Cavan town? Im not sure about hotels as the only time I have meals there would be when I am at a wedding :):)

gazzer wrote: »
    That is very interesting. Where these in Cavan town? Im not sure about hotels as the only time I have meals there would be when I am at a wedding :):)

I tried to book The Oak Room, but no luck yet. Ill keep trying :)

• Registered Users Posts: 18,480 ✭✭✭✭_Brian

Much more of a cafe culture in Cavan town, look at Sage, Delish cafe mana or chapter 1, these are all bustling cafes and there are a number of others doing well too.
    Cafe Mana have purchased a property on Main Street, hardly the sign of business not doing well.

I know the oak room and the black horse can be busy but I hardly eat out in Cavan at night so that's the limit of my knowledge. The derragarra out in butlersbridge is closed for repair at the moment but I expect when it reopens it will be busy for evening dinner as it was doing very well before the fire.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 73 ✭✭flynny50

In my opinion Cavan Town is crying out for a new restaurant,someone willing to do something different.
    All the existing places offer very similar menus & real old style food.
    I believe if someone opened a good Italian or tapas style place they would do very well.

flynny50 wrote: »
    In my opinion Cavan Town is crying out for a new restaurant,someone willing to do something different.
    All the existing places offer very similar menus & real old style food.
    I believe if someone opened a good Italian or tapas style place they would do very well.

Thats the answer I was hoping for ;)

Any of yours favourite restaurants ATM?

• Registered Users Posts: 11,194 ✭✭✭✭Nekarsulm

Oak Room seems to be moving from its position upstairs on main street to where the old Melvin bar was on the corner of Bridge and Abbey streets.
    Cavan is a strange town if you go looking for a meal just after 6 . Cafe's close at six and restuarants not really going till 8.
    Leaving the Kilmore and Crystal hotels your best options.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,194 ✭✭✭✭Nekarsulm

Easy knowing that the Cavan forum is dead in the water, Enda. Any other forum, your post would be toast!

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Music Moderators, Regional East Moderators, Regional Midlands Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators, Regional North Mods, Regional West Moderators, Regional South East Moderators, Regional North East Moderators, Regional North West Moderators, Regional South Moderators Posts: 8,008 CMod ✭✭✭✭Gaspode

@smolkoSK, boards.ie is not here for your market research purposes.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement