Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Applying for a PPS number.

Options
  • 25-07-2016 11:59am
    Registered Users Posts: 5

Hi,

So I'm having insane difficulty applying for a PPS number. I've been living in Westmeath since January of his year. I have no job, not for lack of trying. I was born in County Down. I hold a British passport (they were cheaper at the time). Both my parents were born in the North, and my grandmother on the mums side was born in Tipperary, so I consider myself Irish. My partner is currently pregnant and due in November, so I have no intentions of leaving Westmeath. Also I have just signed a minimum 12 month lease. When I first went in to the Mullingar Intreo office to ask about a PPS, they asked my reason, which was to see if possible to get jobseekers whilst looking for work as I've no other income. They said that would be fine. Since then, I've had 2 meetings with the "gatekeeper of the PPS numbers" as I like to call her. She first said that I couldn't get a PPS number solely to "scrounge of the State". My landlord asked for my PPS number to sign the lease as she'd need it for the PRBT. Explained this to "The Gatekeeper" again, and surprise surprise; You shalt not pass.

Can anyone give me advice on this please because I am still looking for work to no avail, and apparently I need a PPS number to sign my unborn child's birth cert.

Thanks in advance and hope this makes sense!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,809 ✭✭✭Speedwell

Dan, in order to get a PPS number, you will need to show that you have to have one to deal with an approved entity. Your landlord counts if you are entering a tenancy that needs to be reported (as yours seems to be). Check the second para of the red part of the text on this official website: http://www.integration.ie/website/omi/omiwebv6.nsf/page/infoformigrants-pps-en

• Registered Users Posts: 5 DanCraze

They've told me it wasn't a valid reason. Plus she keeps trying to make out that I'm only moving down south to live on benefits. I'll try again and show her this link, thanks buddy!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,809 ✭✭✭Speedwell

DanCraze wrote: »
    They've told me it wasn't a valid reason. Plus she keeps trying to make out that I'm only moving down south to live on benefits. I'll try again and show her this link, thanks buddy!

They push that line hard. My husband is a dual citizen from the North and they said that to him as well. In fact they told him he was a UK migrant under EU rules and if he didn't find work within six months he would be required to move "home". I am a non-EU citizen (American) resident in Ireland and working, so that would have been a bit of a hassle if they could make it stick, which they couldn't because he is a passport-carrying citizen of Ireland as well as the UK.

Advertisement