Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Haggling with suit shops

Options
  • 25-07-2016 1:55am
    Registered Users Posts: 245 ✭✭

Hi does anybody know if it's acceptable to haggle with employees in most menswear stores for suits or in suit specialty stores for a discount or added items such as a free shirt and tie etc? I am in the lookout for a suit in the Galway area and am wondering is this acceptable/common practice to do so? Thanks!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,201 ✭✭✭ongarboy

united2k11 wrote: »
    Hi does anybody know if it's acceptable to haggle with employees in most menswear stores for suits or in suit specialty stores for a discount or added items such as a free shirt and tie etc? I am in the lookout for a suit in the Galway area and am wondering is this acceptable/common practice to do so? Thanks!

I'd say in chain stores it's pointless as all their clothes price tag barcodes are linked to computer stock systems and defined pricing points but I would say in a standalone independently run menswear store where the owner is also and often the salesperson on the floor, then haggling would be appropriate as they can make a call there and then as to what profit margin the can and will accept. Maybe Anthony Ryans on Shop Street? You might find it even more acceptable in a country town (Loughrea, Athenry etc) but the choice of suits and styles would be more limited there I would think.

• Registered Users Posts: 245 ✭✭united2k11

ongarboy wrote: »
    I'd say in chain stores it's pointless as all their clothes price tag barcodes are linked to computer stock systems and defined pricing points but I would say in a standalone independently run menswear store where the owner is also and often the salesperson on the floor, then haggling would be appropriate as they can make a call there and then as to what profit margin the can and will accept. Maybe Anthony Ryans on Shop Street? You might find it even more acceptable in a country town (Loughrea, Athenry etc) but the choice of suits and styles would be more limited there I would think.

Thank you for the reply! I was going to check out a few standalone independent stores and Anthony Ryans was on my list so I will give it a try . Nothing to lose.

• Registered Users Posts: 920 ✭✭✭Bored_lad

If your buying a suit in an independent menswear shop you should always be getting some sort of discount and I've never heard of anyone not getting one. It is built into the prices so your not actually getting a better deal it's just a sales tactic.

I'd highly recommend you also take a look a suitsupply you won't find an equal quality suit at the same price in any Irish menswear store in my opinion.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,087 ✭✭✭eviltimeban

+1 on Suitsupply. I have four of them. Amazing quality, style, and price. Free shipping and returns so if you need to send it back, it's easy.

Advertisement