Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Advice on temporary car options

Options
  • 24-07-2016 11:27pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,206 ✭✭✭

Hi,

So my car is sitting outside and the last of its insurance was yesterday. I didnt bother renewing it because it was out of Tax and NCT, and with the value of the car and a major issue that needs to be dealt with that involves taking the engine, ive decided to write it off/sell it for parts etc.

The problem is I dont want to rush with getting a car. So Im just wondering what are my best options for having use of a car for a month or so, or even a few weeks?

Ideally id like to rent one, but there's no rent a banger type places in Ireland and so the cost would be about 600 I'd say which doesn't make it worth while.

Basically what Id love is a convenient situation of having use of a car, being insured on it and not having to worry about Tax/NCT etc.

Any options?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 18,921 ✭✭✭✭Del2005

Buy a banger for about €600 which has a few months tax and test left on. Sell on when you decide to buy a new car and you should easily make most of the money back on the banger.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,687 ✭✭✭✭wonski

Buy a cheap car with tax and nct and insure it yourself. Sell for similar money when you are done with it.

Would be easier if you renew your insurance, so you can get a full refund (minus used weeks/month). Cancelling new policy is not as cost effective due to charges/fees etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,206 ✭✭✭zig

Cheers folks, I guess thats the best option for now really! Lets hope there are bangers with NCT and Tax for that cheap.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,701 ✭✭✭Cheensbo

zig wrote: »
    Cheers folks, I guess thats the best option for now really! Lets hope there are bangers with NCT and Tax for that cheap.

There's someone selling a pug 306 for 100 euro in the bangernomics thread, put 3 months tax on it for 200e and have a 300e car to tip around in until the nct expires (4 or 5 months on it iirc)

I'm useless with my phone so can't link but check the bangernomics thread and go back a page or two!

Edit: https://www.donedeal.i...peugeot-306/12911772

that should be perfect ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 993 ✭✭✭737max

K11 Micra will be the best temporary car you can get; reliable, no belt to snap, cheap to run, tax and insure. if parts are needed you will find them in a scrapyard. you'll sell it for almost what you paid for it.
    more specifically 98 to 01 facelift version with no sunroof and preferably originally an Irish Micra rather than a March.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,589 ✭✭✭Stealthirl

In my experience anything over 10 years old is getting harder and harder to get cheap insurance on. Know a guy with 7 years ncb,2 points and there paying €700ish on a 01 Irish micra

• Registered Users Posts: 1,206 ✭✭✭zig

Decided to get a donedeal job, Mitsubishi Carisma Taxed and NCTd till September. €370, drives completely fine.

Had to get insured obviously, €865 , full no claims, full license 8 years, 33 years old. Ive a 14 day cooling off period, im determined to do better than that, but at least im back on the road with insurance, tax and NCT! :)

Thanks for the advice folks!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 677 ✭✭✭Giacomo McGubbin

Any temporary car I've bought, I've always ended up keeping them a fair while and liking them more than I expected.

Advertisement