Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Buy electric car

Options
  • 24-07-2016 11:20pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,239 ✭✭✭

I am considering a fully electric car as my next auto. My commute would be an 80 mile round trip each day.

Opinions please?

I would love a Tesla Model S but one can dream! :cool:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 81,223 ✭✭✭✭biko

Besides suggestions here, you can find member's EV for sale here

• Registered Users Posts: 5,153 ✭✭✭jimbobaloobob

Rte Sean o rourke programme featured it week before last they did a pros and cons and value piece.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,641 ✭✭✭zilog_jones

You'll probably get more help here.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,239 ✭✭✭forumdedum

Thanks all. Clicked on that link and had a listen to the Sean O'Rourke programme

Doing the sums on the ESB it says I would save about €7,400 on diesel over 3 years. However, with the price of the i3 am I likely to make any saving over those 3 years?

Can I do a 140km round trip on 1 charge from home?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,313 ✭✭✭✭Sam Kade

forumdedum wrote: »
    Doing the sums on the ESB it says I would save about €7,400 on diesel over 3 years. However, with the price of the i3 am I likely to make any saving over those 3 years?

Can I do a 140km round trip on 1 charge from home?

What's your reason for changing to an electric car?

Sam Kade wrote: »
    What's your reason for changing to an electric car?

That is a very good question. I could say environment but I've heard the manufacturing of the batteries does just as much damage.

I took BMW i3 for Test Drive. Really liked it, no gear changes, good fun.

Also I like the idea of saving money.

Need to change my car so my decision is based on something I hope to keep for another 8-10 years

• Registered Users Posts: 5,153 ✭✭✭jimbobaloobob

I took a nissan leaf for test drive last year,

the sales rep mentioned that if the car was crashed it would mean a total replacement as they didnt know what effects impact would have on battery safety.
    Not sure if thats changed now.

Also if your renting a house or apartment its often not welcomed by the landlords to have the charger installed at that location. Its brings up additional costs if you move to as you will have to have another charge point

I think for now hybrids are as close as it gets to going total electric without the fear of the battery dying mid journey.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,641 ✭✭✭zilog_jones

the sales rep mentioned that if the car was crashed it would mean a total replacement as they didnt know what effects impact would have on battery safety.
    I wouldn't believe most things a sales rep would say ;)
    Also if your renting a house or apartment its often not welcomed by the landlords to have the charger installed at that location.
    I'm sure attitudes towards this will change as more people buy EVs.
    I think for now hybrids are as close as it gets to going total electric without the fear of the battery dying mid journey.
    There are PHEVs too, but not much choice right now (even worse choice in Ireland).

You'll probably get more help here.

Thank you. 60 miles (75%) of my 80 mile round trip is motorway and I like to drive 75 miles per hour (120km) on it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,095 ✭✭✭noelf

2015 e.golf €22995 only 7400 km ..new €33400 ..

• Registered Users Posts: 3,027 ✭✭✭Lantus

Not sure what car aside from a Tesla would provide that range unless you charge at work.

The 60kwh leaf coming in 17/18 will. Tesla will and hybrids would.

E golf will get you 50-60 miles of real world driving.

Like you I'm waiting for the next gen of batteries, that's when it becomes viable.

• Registered Users Posts: 51,159 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

Lantus wrote: »
    Not sure what car aside from a Tesla would provide that range unless you charge at work.

Like you I'm waiting for the next gen of batteries, that's when it becomes viable.

I was considering the BMW i3, now with longer range. 8t is very pricey though

• Registered Users Posts: 1,095 ✭✭✭noelf

This is from the U.S. Environmental Protection Agency ..

noelf wrote: »

This is from the U.S. Environmental Protection Agency ..

Thanks for that. Is that the i3 with the latest battery upgrade?

So I've just looked up that website, why is the new 94 i3 range 6 miles less than the older model?? Weight?

• Registered Users Posts: 181 ✭✭Redtop

With an 80 Mile commute, you'd want to be sure you have access to a Charger close to where you work. If you left home on a full charge and do not top up at work, you will just about get home before emptying the battery, provided you don't have a heavy foot and are careful about not taxing the electrics with A/C or Heater too much. Frankly, the Range Anxiety could be a big issue here. You don't want to be stranded a few miles from home.

I would suggest a Hybrid like the Toyota Prius which is cheaper than the Lexus equivalent.
    It will not leave you stranded unless you forget to fill up with Petrol.

Advertisement